MT-FAST, a fuel-saving device jointly developed by NYK Group company MTI Co. Ltd. and Tsuneishi Holdings Corporation, has been recognized with Japan’s 2018 Minister of the Environment Award. An awards ceremony was held today and attended by Hidetoshi Maruyama, senior managing corporate officer, Yasuo Tanaka, president of MTI, and Kenji Kawano, president of Tsuneishi Holdings Corporation.
MT-FAST, a fuel-saving device, is a multi-blade device that can be attached to a ship’s hull to improve the propeller’s propulsion efficiency. This can be fitted to new vessels and retroactively fitted to existing vessels. Since 2008, it has been installed on ships built at Tsuneishi shipyards and NYK Group operated bulk carriers and container ships, reaching a 500-vessel milestone and reducing carbon dioxide (CO2) emissions by about 1,341,000 tons for about ten years. This award was granted by the Environment Ministry in recognition of the three companies initiatives to promote installation of the fuel-saving device.
The three companies will continue to promote installation of the fuel-saving device and will develop technology that will reduce environmental burdens to address environmental issues together with the entire maritime industry.
* The Minister of the Environment Award for the Promotion of Measures to Cope with Global Warming
The award was established in 1998 by Japan’s Ministry of the Environment and is given every year in December to coincide with Global Warming Prevention Month. The recognition is presented to individuals and groups that have shown remarkable achievements in addressing climate change. This is the third time the NYK Group has been an award winner. In 2012, the NYK Group received an Environment Award for development and operation of an energy-saving air lubrication system, and in 2015, for development and operation of NYK’s Ship Information Management System (SIMS).
You might also like to read..
- Seafarers Win Commitment To Mandatory Internet Access In International Law
- ABS-Approved Sterntube-Less Ship Concept To Save Shipowners Thousands While Keeping Oceans Clean
- Top 12 Tanker Shipping Companies in the World
- NYK’s First Chief Engineers Successfully Complete NTMA And Internal Training Program
- One Of World’s Largest 24,000TEU Ultra Large Container Carriers Undocked In Shanghai
- Seafarers’ Unions Agree On New Three-Year Global Minimum Wage ‘Safety Net’ Deal
- Russian Navy Open Fires At Cargo Ship Sailing Towards Mariupol Port
- Methane Leak From LNG Powered Cargo Ship Caught In Infrared Camera
- 4 Filipino Seafarers Arrested In Australia For Reportedly Importing Cocaine