Leading classification society ClassNK has begun joint investigative research with Sompo Japan Insurance Inc. (hereinafter referred to as Sompo Japan) on risk assessment of autonomous ships.
Global efforts are accelerating toward the practical use of technology for autonomous operation in the field of ships, as this may be a promising way to improve safety by preventing human error related to ship maneuvering and working conditions by reducing the workload of crew members.
With the implementation of demonstration projects and development of the guidelines led by the government, the framework for safety evaluation is in progress in Japan.
As a verification body for ensuring ship safety, ClassNK conducts research and development for the safety evaluation and setting standards for autonomous operation technology, and is also involved in efforts by the government, research institutes, corporates, etc. related to such technology from a safety and technology standpoint.
Sompo Japan and the Society have begun joint investigative research on the risk assessment of autonomous ships, as the above guidelines mention risk assessment as one of the points to be considered for ensuring the safety of autonomous ships.
Utilizing the Society’s knowledge of ships, and Sompo Japan’s knowledge on risks associated with ship operation and management based on underwriting ship insurance, as well as the knowledge on risk assessment for the practical application of autonomous vehicles cultivated by SOMPO Risk Management Inc., which is in charge of risk management operations in the SOMPO Group, they will carry out optimal risk assessment for autonomous ships by researching and sharing their knowledge. They began their research in February 2021 and aim to announce the results within 2022 and utilize them in their own businesses.
Through the results of various partnerships, ClassNK will reinforce its knowledge of risk assessment as a classification society and strive to contribute to the social implementation of autonomous ships.
Press Release | ClassNK
You might also like to read..
- Seafarers Win Commitment To Mandatory Internet Access In International Law
- ABS-Approved Sterntube-Less Ship Concept To Save Shipowners Thousands While Keeping Oceans Clean
- Top 12 Tanker Shipping Companies in the World
- NYK’s First Chief Engineers Successfully Complete NTMA And Internal Training Program
- One Of World’s Largest 24,000TEU Ultra Large Container Carriers Undocked In Shanghai
- Seafarers’ Unions Agree On New Three-Year Global Minimum Wage ‘Safety Net’ Deal
- Russian Navy Open Fires At Cargo Ship Sailing Towards Mariupol Port
- Methane Leak From LNG Powered Cargo Ship Caught In Infrared Camera
- 4 Filipino Seafarers Arrested In Australia For Reportedly Importing Cocaine