Defibrillators play a very important role in terms of providing CPR (Cardio Pulmonary Resuscitation) to patients who have suffered from heart attacks. The medical equipment works in such a way that it shocks the heart into pumping blood to the brain so that the lack of oxygen supply does not cause the patient to die. In terms of modern medicine and equipments, the defibrillator is a very powerful and necessary tool used by doctors across the world.
In order to provide the facility of defibrillators in ships and boats, there has emerged a concept known as automated external defibrillator (AED) that runs on battery and offers the same utility like the traditional defibrillator.
The features and the advantages of having an external defibrillator in a boat and ship can be explained as follows:
- The AED is fully automatic so the person who has suffered from a heart attack has to be just connected with the external defibrillator. The automated external defibrillator then on its own makes sure whether the person needs CPR or not and whether more shock needs to be given to the patient for resuscitating him
- The statistics of people getting saved because of the presence and usage of an AED is quite high – around 70-90%
- The price of the AED is placed from around US$ 1,200 to US$ 2,000. In addition to this cost, a person wanting to invest in an external defibrillator has to purchase a carry pack costing anywhere between US$ 100 to US$ 300 and a kit to understand how the AED works that costs anywhere between US$ 40 to US$ 55
- For the safety of the people in boat, it has been recommended by experts that there need to be at least two AEDs in the ship so that there is no problem caused whatsoever in case some people want to swim in the water and a heart attack occurs to one person in the water, the AED will be extremely helpful
- Since the external defibrillator is operated by battery, there is no worry about electrical power-cuts and other problems
- The AED has been constantly monitored and its guidelines have been changed in 2005 and 2010 by the American Heart Associatio
- The external defibrillators can also be used on kids between the delicate age-group of one to eight. This makes the equipment quite safe and popular
Some of the reputed and well-known companies that market external defibrillators can be named as follows:
- Martek Marine – A company based in the United Kingdom
- Ocean Medical International – A company based in the United Kingdom
- HeartSine – A company that operates in both US and Europe
With the help of the automated external defibrillator, a huge milestone has been achieved especially for people with heart problems travelling in ships or boats. Such people can now travel safely with the knowledge that a proper and approved medical apparatus is there to take care of them in case any unexpected problem arises.
You may also like to read-Telemedicine for Ships: Pros and Cons