From 1st January 2015 onwards, ships operating in Emission Control Areas (ECAs) will have to use marine fuel which does not contain more than 0.10% of sulphur.
The new sulphur regulations of MARPOL Annex VI will set a major SOx limit, which presents many challenges for the whole maritime industry. From January 2015, ships in ECA will have to use higher-quality fuels (or seek other available solutions) to comply with the new regulation.
Ship owners are considering different approaches to comply with the new regulations, the chief among them being:
- Using LNG as fuel
- Installing scrubber systems
- Using distillate fuels
- Preparing engines to run on marine gasoline
Adhering to the new regulation is not going to be an easy task as each of the options mentioned above comes with big cost implications.
However, it’s not just the shipowners who will be affected but the ship’s crew will also be facing some real challenges. Presently, for ships operating in the ECAs, switching to Marine Gas Oil (MGO) is the most viable option available to comply with the new threshold limit. A variety of parameters have to be considered while carrying out the fuel change over procedure, which requires significant attention from the ship’s crew.
Understanding vessel’s fuel system layout, temperature constraints, viscosity of two fuels, and variable fuel sulphur content are some of the main parameters to be considered for cost-effective and reliable fuel change-over procedure. If the process is not handled with care, it can result in severe damage to the machinery systems and increase in operational costs.
Marine Insight’s new ebook ” A Guide to Emission Control Areas (ECA) Compliance For Ships” provides a general overview of the new regulations, procedures for fuel change over procedures and technologies that can be used to reduce NOx and SOx from marine fuel.
Topics Covered in the eBook:
- Introduction to MARPOL Annex VI and ECAs
- How Ships Produce NOx and Sox Emissions
- Precautions When Switching to LSFO and MGO
- Procedure to Switch from HFO to LSFO
- Important Logs, Record Book and Technical File
- Different Methods to Achieve ECA Compliance
The Free ebook also comes along with 4 free bonuses:
1. Bunker Delivery Note and MARPOL Sample Record
2. Emission Control Area Fuel Changeover Sample Record
3. Bunker Oil Sulphur Content Sample Record
4. Low Sulphur Fuel Oil (LSFO) calculator (Excel Document)
Download and share this free ebook with your seafarer friends.
If you have questions, please do ask us at the forums – http://forums.marineinsight.com