• In a significant advance for the regional Liquefied Natural Gas (LNG) industry, Seaspan and AES, sign a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) that contributes to the development of sustainable energy solutions for the maritime industry.
In the framework of the 3rd International LNG Global Forum, held in Cartagena, Colombia, Seaspan has signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with global energy company, AES.
This collaboration is mainly aimed at providing Liquefied Natural Gas (LNG) bunkering services to shipping vessels crossing the Panama Canal, as well as exploring options to provide this and similar services in regional markets within the area of influence of the Costa Norte LNG terminal, owned by AES, located in Colón, Panama.
Currently, AES is developing a project to expand the aforementioned terminal that contemplates a new LNG refueling infrastructure in methane tankers (Ship Loading Facility) that together with the arrival of a small-scale methane tanker to Panama, provided by Seaspan ULC, destined for final deliveries of LNG, will allow the commercialization of LNG as marine fuel from the second half of 2024, and eventually the delivery of this type of hydrocarbon, more environmentally friendly, in other alternative regional markets.
The Ship Loading Facility is scheduled to begin operations in November of this year as an integral part of the services of the Costa Norte LNG terminal in the province of Colon, Panama. This infrastructure promises to change the landscape of the regional energy sector, enabling the terminal to offer services for the LNG industry.
– Cool down: cooling service for LNG carriers reloading or resuming marine operation after a period of maintenance downtime.
– Temporary storage and reloading: with the capacity of the Costa Norte storage tank (180,000 m³), different market operators will be able to store their LNG temporarily and withdraw it on demand.
– Refueling for bunkering and regional distribution: with a model that replicates the operation of the world’s main terminals, the Costa Norte terminal will enable the delivery of stored LNG to be used both for LNG supply, as marine fuel for the growing fleet transiting the Panama Canal, and for emerging markets in neighboring countries.
“Seaspan is proud to collaborate with AES to provide LNG bunkering in the Panama region and lead the way in providing energy transformation opportunities in the global marine sector. Together we will provide low-carbon solutions for ship owners who want to decarbonize their operations and transition to cleaner marine fuels,” said Ian McIver, president of Seaspan Energy.
“We are on the doorstep of a new era in sustainable energy. The collaboration with our shipowner partner and the innovations at our Costa Norte Terminal position us as leaders in driving sustainable, efficient and affordable solutions to meet the growing demands of the market,” said Miguel Bolinaga, president of AES in Panama.
These achievements mark the beginning of a revolutionary transformation in the sustainable energy landscape that benefits both Panama and the region.
1. A rendering of Seaspan Energy’s 7600m3 LNG bunkering vessel which will service the Panama region.
2. Ian McIver, President of Seaspan ULC, Miguel Bolinaga, President de AES Panamá y Freddy Obando, LNG Vice President.
The information contained in this website is for general information purposes only. While we endeavour to keep the information up to date and correct, we make no representations or warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability, suitability or availability with respect to the website or the information, products, services, or related graphics contained on the website for any purpose. Any reliance you place on such information is therefore strictly at your own risk.
In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.
Marine Insight News Network is a premier source for up-to-date, comprehensive, and insightful coverage of the maritime industry. Dedicated to offering the latest news, trends, and analyses in shipping, marine technology, regulations, and global maritime affairs, Marine Insight News Network prides itself on delivering accurate, engaging, and relevant information.
Latest Shipping News You Would Like:
Get the Latest Maritime News Delivered to Your Inbox!
Our free, fast, and fun newsletter on the global maritime industry, delivered everyday.