The Accident Investigation Board Norway has initiated a safety investigation after the incident with the cruise ship Viking Sky’s engine failure at Hustadvika Saturday 23 March 2019.
The United States and the United Kingdom are participating in the investigation as substantially interested states.
The AIBN is issuing an interim report with a simplified narrative and initial findings from the incident. The report also includes actions taken by the company. Further, the AIBN supports the Norwegian Maritime Administration’s recommendations issued shortly after the incident.
The investigation will continue with the analysis of the sequence of events and systematize and analyze factual information. Areas of further investigation are described in the interim report.
- Location: Hustadvika, Fræna municipality, Møre og Romsdal
- Occurrence date: 23.03.2019
- Accident category: Technical failure
- Area: Norwegian Territorial Waters
- IMO number: 9650420
- Name of vessel: Viking Sky
- Accident type: Technical failure, propulsion or auxiliary engines
- Vessel type: Passenger Ship – Ferry
- Register: The Norwegian International Ship Register