Everything You Want To Know About Ship in a Bottle – Top 5 Ship In A Bottle Kits
Ship in a bottle, a popular nautical gift during bygone maritime eras and even in contemporary times, is a unique concept of putting a model ship in a glass bottle. Well-crafted memorabilia, the idea of the ship in bottle served as a poignant reminder of the magnificence of both – the vessels and the maritime domain.
Various historical anecdotes recount different theories of the ship in a-bottle paradigm. Sure tales talk about the seafarers’ desire to whittle their free time through these minutely constructed figurines. At the same time, many assign these uniquely filled bottles to yet another sleight of hand technical manoeuvre.
But contrary to the latter theorisations, the art of constructing and fitting out ships of different dimensions within bottles having constricted necks is as detailed and arduous.
The significance of the model ship placed strategically within the bottle perhaps arises from this arduousness. The accentuated creativity and singularity of the ship model were probably the major contributors to this constructional art-form which perpetrated its immense popularity in its heydays and transformed presently into equally well-crafted replicas of the original constructions.
Constructional Era and Methodology
The nautical gift of a Ship in a bottle was in vogue during the late 18th and the early and mid-19th centuries in Europe and the Americas. Over the years spanning this era, the constructional methodology also changed with the various ship-in-bottle designers coming up with different constructional approaches. However, even though the actual start of the concept is well-known, the innovator of the concept remains a mystery.
There are different ways to incorporate a ship within a bottle successfully. The most commonly employed technique is constructing a ship based on historical vessel models and then placing them within the bottle. A lesser-known technique involves the vessel’s construction by placing structural elements within the bottle and then carving them to shape.
How to Make Ship in a Bottle: A Glimpse
Elaborating on the first constructional methodology, the essential requirement for a ship-in-a-bottle architect is to choose the right bottle variant. A clear glass bottle without visible seams, labels or flaws like lettering is usually preferred. It should be cleaned with a cleaner and the insides with a cotton swab. Since ships of the past came in different shapes and sizes, the mouth of the bottle, stand measures and the extent of its flat-base shape when placed horizontally also matters immensely.
Apart from the bottle sizing, several other important elements also need to be considered while constructing ships in bottles. Typical items finding their way into a ship in a bottle kit thus would be – the right kind of glass bottle ( can be a transparent plastic bottle or even a soft drink container), pigments to depict textures of the sea, small blocks of timber, toothpicks, bamboo skewer and cables and glue to solder the whole structure wherever necessary.
– The first step after the bottle is chosen involves replicating the vessel using the small blocks of timber. The bottom of the hull is trimmed and placed inside the bottle. The constructor needs to utilise the right quality timber, which can not only be easily whittled but will be equally durable. Whittling the timber to the intended vessel’s shape is a meticulous task and needs to be carried out by thoroughly calculating the width of the bottle and the proportions of its mouth.
– Once the timber is whittled, the torso of the ship model with all detailing is created, and appropriate finessing agents are applied to emphasise its detailing. The next step involves constructing elements like the top of the mast, main sail, detailing the side of the hull, spar-poles and riggings of the model ship with the help of timber, rods and cables. Through a small hole and a small piece of wire, these are attached to the hull using strings and hinges.
– These elements, too, require calculation precision so that the positioning of the vessel into the bottle is not hindered because of inaccurate measurements. At the same time, the architect also needs to maintain the authenticity of the replicated craft vis-à-vis the original, which makes these minute constructions even more important. The paper is gummed to the replicated spar poles to replicate the unfurled sailing canvasses.
– The cables are used to provide flexibility to these structures, which are made planate while positioning and shifting the vessel into the bottle. Thus these cables act as flexible joints into the already carved vessel support structures and help the architect in the smooth transition of the ship model into the bottle.
– Before transitioning the ship into a bottle, its flat base needs to be coated with pigments to create the effect of the sea. Mixing fillers with these pigments gives the stains a semi-solid consistency which can be coated into the bottle’s flat base to provide an authentic feel to the ripples and waves.
– Using the extended length of the cables, the flexible joints of the pole structures and the riggings are slowly lowered to allow the easy passage of the model ship into the bottle. After the vessel successfully transitions into the bottle, aligning it perfectly over the coated wave replication is equally essential. After the vessel’s aligned absolutely, the cables are tugged to raise the poles and riggings with the extra cable lengths, then snipped to present a daintily carved ship in a bottle.
Ships in bottles are a unique way of associating oneself with the maritime domain even if one weren’t a seafarer and are truly a collector’s pride and marvel. Moreover, these constructions boast aesthetic ingenuity with a never-be-diminished allure and appeal. Constructing a ship-in-bottle requires a lot of patience and is an activity full of adventure and fun. Perfect to be done with family or friends.
Watch the Video of Making a Ship in a Bottle
Top 5 Ship In A Bottle Kit
1. Ship In A Bottle Kit Hannah
One of the finest ship-in-a-bottle kits available in the market, it makes a perfect nautical gift for all ages, beginners and experts alike.
A mini replica of the original General George Washington’s schooner, this was the first ship to be commissioned by the Continental Army in 1775. With this, Washington began the fight against the British Navy.
The Hannah ship kit includes pre-cut wooden parts, brass photo-etched decks, keel, decorated bulwarks, and a beautiful glass bottle for a museum-quality finish.
Scale: 1:300 Length: 3.7 inches
- Premium, imported model ship kit by Amati!
- High quality English instructions included.
- Includes glass bottle.
- Scale: 1:300
- Length: 3.7 inches
2. USS Constitution Ship In A Bottle Model Kit
A perfect project for the family to have fun together, the USS constitution ship in a bottle kit is what you need to have great family time or spend some quality time with your kids.
- Make a miniature version of the USS Constitution
3. Authentic boat in a bottle kit
This cute boat-in-bottle kit comes with everything you need for a completely engaging and entertaining puzzle to solve with your best pals.
- An explorer’s priority, direction. Where will the compass lead?
- Put it on your office desk, in the living room, or in your bedroom to create a nautical vibe in any space.
- Everything you need to create a wonderful boat in a bottle is included in this kit.
- This boat in a bottle decor makes a unique gift for people who likes nautical or vintage items.
- With its historic background and exquisite details, each of Authentic Model's product is crafted with distinctive design, premium quality, and individual craftsmanship, making it a must have addition to your next model collections.
4. Pirate Ship In Bottle Kit
This great model kit makes your mini pirate ship. A perfect thing for a great bonding activity for the family.
- Product description Pirate Ship in a Bottle Kit - Includes All Parts to Create a Mini Ship in a Bottle - VERY Challenging, Are You up for It? From the Manufacturer How do they do that? You get to find out when you build your very own ship in a bottle.
- From the Manufacturer How do they do that? You get to find out when you build your very own ship in a bottle.
- Kit comes with pre-shaped wooden parts, a clear glass bottle, simulated brass name plate, rigging, as well as illustrations and instructions on getting started.
5. LEGO Ship In Bottle Kit
This is not your conventional ship-in-a-bottle kit. It is a LEGO model building kit compatible with all LEGO construction sets, measuring over 10cm in height. It comes with a pamphlet about the Lego set’s fan creator and Lego Designers. The model ship kit has 962 pieces and features a buildable cork and wax seal element, a ship with a captain’s quarters, cannons, mast, crow’s nest, sails and flag, and a display stand with a nameplate.
If you love LEGO, then you must have this in your collection
- Build a ship in a bottle featuring a brick-built cork and wax seal, ship with a captain’s quarters, cannons, mast, crow’s nest, sails, flag, display stand with a nameplate and ‘compass’!
- This LEGO Ideas ship in a bottle model kit comes with an instruction booklet including information about the set's fan creator and LEGO designers
- The bottle on stand measures over 3" (10cm) high, 12” (31cm) wide and 3” (10cm) deep; Ship measures over 3" (8cm) high, 5” (14cm) long and 1” (5cm) wide
- 962 pieces – Advanced building set for boys and girls aged 12+ and for fans and big kids of all ages
- The LEGO Ideas Ship in a Bottle 92177 model kit can be built together with all other original LEGO sets and LEGO building bricks for creative building
Over to you.
Do you have any other ship-in-bottle model kit that can be added to this list?
Let’s know in the comments below.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What does a ship in a bottle symbolise?
Ships in a bottle associate one with the maritime domain, even if one is not a sailor or seafarer. It is an exquisite artwork with unknown origins, yet it has artistic appeal and makes for a great gift.
2. How much does it cost?
A model is quite expensive and costs around 750 to 800 US Dollars. It comes with high detailing, sails furled, rigging, masts fitted and even deck cabins and hatches. One can also get a custom-made ship in a glass bottle.
3. How do you fit everything in the bottle?
First, the ship’s hull is carved and placed in the bottle. Then, other components like masts, sails, and spurs are constructed separately and attached to the hull using glue, sticks and other materials. The masts are pulled up once everything is fitted, using the strings attached.
4. How did this concept come about?
The oldest surviving ships in bottle models date back to the 18th century. They were made by Giovanni Biondo and included large and expensive Venetian ship models.
5. How can you make ships in a bottle?
While one can buy readymade stuff, it is nothing compared to the ones you make yourself. Several companies have launched DIY Ships in bottle kits for making them yourself. One can also look at youtube videos for any ideas.
Disclaimer: This post may contain affiliate links, meaning we get a small commission if you decide to purchase through our links at no additional cost to you. You can read our full disclaimer here.
Really nice post. I appreciate your skills, Thanks for sharing.
When I was a child my dad had a ship in an old wine bottle the back side of the bottle had a detailed village up the cliff overlooking the harbor. Have you ever seen anything like that. The bottle was sealed with a cork and wax, the bottom had slight indentation and the glass of th bottle had bubbles in it. It had no markings on the bottle but the back of the village was an ivory colored substance. The village was extremely detailed and reminded me of a cliffside village I saw in Portugal. The battle has since been lost we cannot locate it none of the family remember where it went I still would wonder where it came from and how it was made any information you can give me would be helpful