Due to several factors, mainly human, marine environment has been and is degrading day-by-day. In order to take a proactive stance against the degrading atmosphere and the oceanic environment, the US government’s Department of Commerce established the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) in the year 1970.
The main role and scope of the NOAA is to provide information about the weather, climate, and oceans, along with providing guidance and ways to navigate the oceans safely and put forth other required environmental concerns at the national level.
The manning of the atmospheric administration takes place with the help of non-military employees and their uniformed counterparts. Known as the NOAA Corps, these military officers operate and man airplanes and vessels of the NOAA. These planes and ships are a part of the National Climate Data Center so as to aid the process of research and exploration required for the atmospheric administration’s functions.
The role and functions of NOAA are many and varied and form one of the most important departments in the US government. The national climate data center aims at providing its services to aid not just the United States but also to each and every country across the world.
The organisation envisions providing:
- Eco-systems that will be stronger and sounder, especially in the coming years because of environmental alterations
- Stronger and sounder economies to ensure a better future for people across the globe
There are five basic actions that NOAA looks to offer:
- With the help of the right equipments and gadgets, inspecting and drawing inferences about the existing oceanic andatmospheric system of the earth
- Explaining the said drawn inferences with the right medium and equipments so as provide a better understanding capability
- Prognosticating about the changes expected in the atmospheric systems in the days to com.
- Providing all relevant data to the public
- Management of all the relevant resources so as to provide a safer and sounder environment, economic system and an overall community
In order to carry out all its desired functions, the organisation has set up six specific offices within it. These internal offices are:
– The National Environmental Satellite, Data and Information Service
– The National Marine Fisheries Services
– The National Ocean Service
– The National Weather Service
– Office of Oceanic and Atmospheric Research
– Office of Program Planning and Integration
All these offices together combine to actively perform the functions of NOAA thereby enabling the smooth functioning of the NOAA as a whole entity.
The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration was set up by the integration of three of the United States’ departments – the United States Coast and Geodetic Survey, the Weather Bureau and the Bureau of Commercial Fisheries. In the four decades of its existence, the organisation has more than achieved its purpose and still strives to carry on better. It is this factor that makes the organisation so unique and indispensable.
You may also like to read-Nautical Law: What is UNCLOS?
Latest Maritime Law You Would Like:
Maritime Law You Would Like:
Get the Latest Maritime News Delivered to Your Inbox!
Our free, fast, and fun newsletter on the global maritime industry, delivered everyday.