Award-winning global maritime cyber security awareness campaign, Be Cyber Aware at Sea, has collaborated with Fidra Films to launch a new film which aims to highlight the vital and increasing importance of cyber security across the maritime industry.
The project has been supported by The Standard Club, along with NSSLGlobal, a global maritime satellite communications provider, Oil Companies International Marine Forum (OCIMF) and Teekay.
The film uses real-life case studies to highlight how easy it is for cybercriminals to target individual employees, who are often the weakest link in the security chain. Lots of people still fail to spot the signs of simple phishing emails, and accidentally give away secure information to hackers via email or social media.
Even something as simple as charging a phone using the ECDIS could allow hackers to gain access to the ship’s navigation system. The video therefore focuses on tips to avoid being a target for cyber criminals.
This release is particularly timely given the recent reports of a widespread cyber attack affecting companies around the world, including Maersk.
The video is freely available on youtube here. Members are encouraged to distribute it to their fleets and reinforce its messages.
You might also like to read..
- Seafarers Win Commitment To Mandatory Internet Access In International Law
- ABS-Approved Sterntube-Less Ship Concept To Save Shipowners Thousands While Keeping Oceans Clean
- Top 12 Tanker Shipping Companies in the World
- NYK’s First Chief Engineers Successfully Complete NTMA And Internal Training Program
- One Of World’s Largest 24,000TEU Ultra Large Container Carriers Undocked In Shanghai
- Seafarers’ Unions Agree On New Three-Year Global Minimum Wage ‘Safety Net’ Deal
- Russian Navy Open Fires At Cargo Ship Sailing Towards Mariupol Port
- Methane Leak From LNG Powered Cargo Ship Caught In Infrared Camera
- 4 Filipino Seafarers Arrested In Australia For Reportedly Importing Cocaine