Royal Caribbean International’s newest and hottest ship yet, Harmony of the Seas – sailing to Europe’s most popular destinations in the Western Mediterranean, beginning May 2016 – is setting the stage for an entertainmentensemble unlike anything ever seen before in one place.
The innovative global cruise line is pulling back the curtain on the unexpected entertainment offerings that come together onboard Harmony of the Seas – from the hot summer nights of Broadway’s hit musical Grease, to high-tech, high-definition ice shows in Studio B and jaw-dropping, high-flying, immersive performances at the oceanfront AquaTheater, and, for the first time, Puzzle Break, an interactive, problem solving group activity, is in a dedicated, fully-produced space, fit for a Hollywood studio where guests are challenged to Escape the Rubicon, andso much more.
“We are taking entertainment to the next level on Harmony of the Seas with more captivating, immersive entertainment experiences than ever before,” said Nick Weir, Vice President, Entertainment, Royal Caribbean International. “The level of innovation that has gone into our latest lineup is truly mind blowing, and Harmony guests can expect the unexpected with our biggest, most awe-inspiring stage yet.”
The Biggest Curtain Call Yet
The main theater onboard Harmony of the Seas, the Royal Theater, is a spectacular, state-of-the-art space that enlists 21st century technology to create a performance environment that supersedes traditional theaters. Seating 1,380 guests, the Royal Theater is home to two headline shows presented by Royal Caribbean Productions:
- Columbus, The Musical!– an original Royal Caribbean production created in the spirit of “Spamalot” and “Something Rotten,” the story recounts the imagined history of Marvin Columbus, Christopher’s fictional, down on his luck, distant cousin. Banished from his family’s kingdom, Marvin sets sail on a madcap voyage of discovery in the hopes of claiming his own place in history. Unforeseen romance and a “happily ever after” story are on the map as Marvin Columbus crashes into his Caribbean destiny. A breathtaking and revolutionary set design, transporting the audience across the Atlantic to the Caribbean, will awe the entire family and adults will thoroughly enjoy the smart, nuanced humor.
Grease – the all-new, never-before-seen stage production, specially adapted by Royal Caribbean Productions, will boast original choreography, costumes and aerial elements set to amaze the most seasoned theater goers. Featuring a soundtrack of crowd favorites such as “Summer Nights,” “Greased Lightnin’,” “Look at Me, I’m Sandra Dee,” “Born to Hand-Jive,” “Beauty School Dropout” and more, guests will follow the romantic twists and turns of Sandy and Danny as they navigate the tricky social waters of Rydell High School while keeping their reputations – and relationship – together.
AquaTheater Reaches New Heights
The theatrical possibilities of the AquaTheater, the distinct high diving, acrobatic performance space introduced by Royal Caribbean with the Oasis class of ships, are pushed to breathtaking new limits onboard Harmony of the Seas. New aerial capabilities will elevate the thrilling entertainment repertoire, creating an all-encompassing theatrical experience where the audience will witness heart-stopping balancing tricks on the highline and aerial maneuvers by acro-artists allowing them to dip into the audience and catapult back to the stage. Two 10-meter high platforms and the hydraulic-floored pool, the largest and deepest freshwater pool at sea, below will serve as podiums for high-diving, hair-raising aerobatics that AquaTheater audiences have come to love. The signature venue will boast the caliber of shows only presented on a Royal Caribbean stage, where innovations intermingle with emotions to defy the imagination. New AquaTheater shows include:
- The Fine Line – a journey from extreme to extraordinary, The Fine Line is the AquaTheater redefined with high-flying feats, mind blowing stunts and physically demanding acrobatics brought to life by the world’s best extreme-sport athletes. Designed as a 360° immersive entertainment show, revelers will be wishing for eyes in the back of their head to take in all the action happening around them.
- Hideaway Heist – a dive into hilarious escapades, guests will steal some laughs and experience amazing wows with Royal Caribbean’s new comedy dive show, Hideaway Heist. This action packed comedy aqua show jumps into the world of a swanky 1950’s holiday resort where guys ‘n’ dolls take the audience on a frolicking escapade in, on and around the pool as an undercover detective, playing the part of a high-rolling vacationer, pursues a crafty burglar. Guests can expect plenty of family-friendly fun and awe-inspiring performance tricks as the staff of the Hideaway Resort solve the crime of a century.
A Futuristic Spin on the Ice
Ice shows leap into the future on Harmony of the Seas, where world-class skaters perform extraordinary skills as stunning multimedia visuals, audio and state-of-the-art technology provide a sight and sound theatrical extravaganza. Guests will watch as the surface of the ice rink in Studio B transforms before their very eyes, creating a backdrop of ultra-high definition video, which blends fantasy with reality. The result is a dazzling new canvas on which incredible artists demonstrate their unbelievable skills. New Studio B performances include:
- 1887 – an original Royal Caribbean production about love and adventure that begins in Paris on February 14, 1887 at the height of the career of Jules Verne, renowned author of timeless adventure novels such as “Journey to the Center of the Earth” (1864), “Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea” (1870), and “Around the World in Eighty Days” (1873). Beginning their journey on the frozen River Seine, Juliet and her mysterious time traveling companion, the Tempus, travel in multiple dimensions to discover the wonders of the world, and of the heart. World-class skaters and striking technology combine in a unique way that is guaranteed to leave audiences both breathless and emotionally touched.
- iSkate Showcase – a Studio B ice show unlike any other where Royal Caribbean’s talented skaters put their best blade forward in a dazzling showcase of their very best moves set to their own favorite tunes. The cast goes rogue and anything can happen!
Fan Favorites Hit a High Note
On Harmony of the Seas, Royal Caribbean favorites are back and better than ever, including:
- Puzzle Break: Escape the Rubicon – a puzzle that transports players to another world and another time where they must ESCAPE! Players will collaborate with friends, old and new, as they attempt to find the hidden clues needed to solve a collection of puzzles that will eventually unravel the mystery of the Rubicon. With only 60 minutes of life-support, the suspense builds with every tick of the clock. For the first time, this remarkably popular activity will take place in a dedicated space designed in partnership with ShowFX Inc., a staple for Hollywood studios’ engineering, design and fabrication of custom entertainment equipment.
- Red Party – the hottest high-energy party at sea. With DJs, surprise performances, special effects and technology, this all out nightlife extravaganza is an experience not to be missed.
- Stowaway Piano – the pop-up piano player, which originally debuted on Anthem of the Seas, heads to Harmony. Behind the door. Around the corner. In the elevator. By the pool. Guests never know where the Stowaway Piano will turn up next.
The Royal Promenade Returns
On the Royal Promenade, Harmony of the Seas continues the tradition of Royal Caribbean’s signature theme nights and parades with:
- Totally Awesome 90s – Harmony of the Seas debuts the evolution of Royal Caribbean’s much-loved Promenade 70s Party as the clock is pushed forward to the 90s. Guests can party it up in a new era when soundtracks are dominated by teen pop, dance-pop and the growing popularity of hip hop. A live DJ spinning favorite 90s hits, live pop-up performances and crazy neon track suits set the stage to transport partygoers back to this totally awesome decade.
- Let’s Celebrate! – when on a cruise, vacationers really don’t need an excuse to celebrate, but Royal Caribbean is giving guests one anyway with Let’s Celebrate! – the ultimate celebration of celebrations. Halloween, Birthdays, St. Patrick’s Day, Valentine’s Day, Fourth of July and New Year’s Eve will all be celebrated at once, in a wild and crazy parade that’s truly unforgettable.
Guests on Harmony of the Seas also can belt out tunes atthe On Air Club, revel in a symphony of brass brilliance with the High Cs Horns,Harmony’s very own horn-led, nine piece orchestra, and take in livecomedy and music at Harmony’s brand new nighttime hotspot, The Attic.
Harmony of the Seas, the world’s largest cruise ship, will span 16 guest decks, encompass 227,000 gross registered tons, carry 5,497 guests at double occupancy, and feature 2,747 staterooms. The Oasis-class is an architectural marvel touting Royal Caribbean’s exclusive seven neighborhood concept, including Central Park, Boardwalk, the Royal Promenade, the Pool and Sports Zone, Vitality at Sea Spa and Fitness Center, Entertainment Place and Youth Zone. For more information about Harmony of the Seas, please visit RoyalCaribbean.com/HarmonyoftheSeas.
Royal Caribbean International is an award-winning global cruise brand with a 46-year legacy of innovation and introducing industry “firsts” never before seen at sea. The cruise line features an expansive and unmatched array of features and amenities only found on Royal Caribbean including, jaw-dropping, Broadway-style entertainment and industry-acclaimed programming that appeals to families and adventurous vacationers alike. Onboard, guests are catered to with the cruise line’s world-renowned friendly and engaging Gold Anchor Service by every staff and crew member. Royal Caribbean has been voted “Best Cruise Line Overall” for 13 consecutive years in the Travel Weekly Readers Choice Awards.
The cruise line sails 23 of the world’s most innovative cruise ships to the most popular destinations in Bermuda and the Caribbean, Europe, Canada and New England, Alaska, South America, Asia, and Australia and New Zealand.