On 15th February, at its yard in Werkendam, the Netherlands, Concordia Damen held a celebration to mark the naming of the Sendo Liner, an innovative dry cargo vessel. Sendo Shipping in cooperation with Concordia Damen has designed a completely new vessel for the optimally efficient transportation of high cube containers between Rotterdam and Groningen, the Netherlands, and other inland terminals. Its specially-designed ballast system also further increases its container capacity.
Sendo Shipping Managing Director Sebastiaan van der Meer says, “The Sendo Liner’s design is driven by our findings over many years of research and experience. It showcases our long-term strategy and vision for the future and will enable our goals of increased sustainability while increasing operational capabilities considerably.”
The vessel is fully optimised for the transportation of containers. The liner, measuring 110 x 11.4 metres, has the ability to carry additional containers in its cargo hold. Additionally, it features an innovative ballast system which enables it to sit lower in the water to increase its available air draft when passing under the bridges it encounters on its route at full loading. In total, the Sendo Liner delivers an 8% increase in loading capacity relative to a conventional vessel of similar size.
The Sendo Liner’s efficiency is not limited to increased capacity. Its diesel-electric propulsion results in very low in emissions, offering a reduction in CO2 of 40% per container transported. This is a vessel that demonstrates Sendo Shipping’s long-term view; a vessel for the future.
The future-proofing of the Sendo Liner goes beyond its sustainable credentials and increased cargo capacity, however. The design is modular, thereby providing the vessel with the versatility for fast adaptation in the future, as well as easy maintenance.
“It’s been a pleasure to work on a vessel as forward-thinking as this one,” says Concordia Damen. “The Sendo Liner is in many ways a vessel that reflects our own philosophy for a more efficient, cleaner future on inland waterways. We wish Sendo Shipping every success with their new vessel and look forward to constructing similar vessels in the future.”
Sendo Shipping has already placed an order with Concordia Damen for the delivery of two similar vessels that are currently under construction.
You might also like to read..
- Seafarers Win Commitment To Mandatory Internet Access In International Law
- ABS-Approved Sterntube-Less Ship Concept To Save Shipowners Thousands While Keeping Oceans Clean
- Top 12 Tanker Shipping Companies in the World
- NYK’s First Chief Engineers Successfully Complete NTMA And Internal Training Program
- One Of World’s Largest 24,000TEU Ultra Large Container Carriers Undocked In Shanghai
- Seafarers’ Unions Agree On New Three-Year Global Minimum Wage ‘Safety Net’ Deal
- Russian Navy Open Fires At Cargo Ship Sailing Towards Mariupol Port
- Methane Leak From LNG Powered Cargo Ship Caught In Infrared Camera
- 4 Filipino Seafarers Arrested In Australia For Reportedly Importing Cocaine