Container security initiative, a bilateral informative transfer system started by US Coast Guard, aims to increase the level of security at US ports. The article – What is Container Security Initiative (CSI) and how does it Work, explains the working and important features of CSI. In this article, we enumerate the benefits of CSI to the marine world.
Container Security Initiative (CSI) is a system that offers benefits for all the parties involved.
Some of the major benefits of container shipping through CSI are:
- Additional and highest security offered.
- Since there is no delay in container shipping, the trade faces no setbacks
- This system allows the host countries to have access to containerized cargo leaving for their ports, ensuring more security of their own shores.
- This is an economical system with no hassles and only increased security
- The shipment of cargo containers can actually be increased through this system with no additional security checks conducted through rest of the US ports once they have been scanned under CSI
- It not only offers a greater global security for container shipping industry but to all facets of the shipping industry.
Container security initiative is a unique system which is bilateral in true sense. A country signing up for such system agrees not only to scan cargo containers but actually takes a major step towards overall global security.