Slip, trips and falls are the most common types of accidents that a seafarer faces while working on ship. The injury occurred due to trip and fall can be more severe if it takes place from a height or takes place in confined spaces or holds. It requires continuous training and team work to perform such rescue operation onboard ships successfully.
Their has been many cases in the past wherein the person who went to rescue a victim in a confined space became victim himself/herself as proper precaution were not taken for such rescue operation.
Proper trained team is required to perform such rescue operation, as proper training reduces the rescue time and do not add to any further incidents.
Following precautions and procedures are to be followed for quick and effective rescue operation supposing a victim is to be rescued from an enclosed space.
- General emergency to be announced through the ship’s alarm.
- A responsible officer to be made in charge of the operation.
- Adequate man power to be present for the operation
- All prior checks to be carried out on SCBA used in the operation.
- Life line to be used by the entry person.
- Communication equipment (walky talky) to be given to all.
- Torch lights to be taken along.
- Extra ready breathing apparatus to be kept stand by.
- In charge of operation to be present at entry point co-ordinating the operation.
- Breathing apparatus to be carried by rescuing party along with stretcher for the victim.
- A life line to be tied out in the stretcher of the victim so that it can be guided and lifted out of the tank.
Never attempt to rescue a person alone from confined spaces. Always call for help, plan a quick rescue operation and do it with proper equipments and team efforts.
You may also like to read-Alarm and Actions for Man Overboard situation
You might also like to read..
- ABS-Approved Sterntube-Less Ship Concept To Save Shipowners Thousands While Keeping Oceans Clean
- Seafarers Win Commitment To Mandatory Internet Access In International Law
- Top 12 Tanker Shipping Companies in the World
- NYK’s First Chief Engineers Successfully Complete NTMA And Internal Training Program
- One Of World’s Largest 24,000TEU Ultra Large Container Carriers Undocked In Shanghai
- Watch: OceanGate’s 2022 Titanic Expedition Document Wreck Of Titanic For Future Generations
- Seafarers’ Unions Agree On New Three-Year Global Minimum Wage ‘Safety Net’ Deal
- What Are Hybrid Ships?
- ONE Inks Shipbuilding Contracts For 10 Very Large Container Ships