Eco-Ship 2020: A Futuristic Open Hatch Bulk Carrier Concept
Oshima Shipbuilding Company and DNV have unveiled an open hatch bulk carrier concept design – Eco-Ship 2020. The energy efficient eco-friendly concept ship aims to lower fuel costs and improve the overall shipping operation, considerably.
The OHBC ship features a number of cost effective and environment-friendly options. Some of the salient features of the concept ship are:
- Wide Twin Skeg Hull
- Oshima’s Seaworthy bow
- Air Lubrication system
- Lean burn four stroke medium speed gas engines
- Flexible propulsion and power generation system with shaft generator and motor
- Waste-heat recovery system
- 5% fuel saving at normal cruising speed
- Four large capacity electric jib cranes
- Hatch covers made of composite material that weighs about 50% less than traditional steel covers
The concept vessel will be fully compliant with future IMO, ECA and Tier III emission requirements and will emit less than 50% CO2 than typical existing OHBCs. The LNG propulsion makes the ship a highly efficient OHBC.
Have a look at the video of the concept ship below:
The youtube video is on the link below
You may also like to read-Shell’s Preclude FLNG: One of the Largest Floating Structures