If you are a mechanical engineer and wish to get a job in the merchant navy, then you can do so by becoming a marine engineer using your mechanical engineering degree.
Mechanical and marine engineering courses have several subjects in common and this makes it easier for a mechanical engineer to get an additional degree in marine and open new doors of opportunities.
Moreover, with the present shortage of maritime professionals in the shipping industry and lack of quality mechanical engineering jobs in the market, taking up marine engineering is an ideal choice for those already having a degree in mechanical engineering.
How to Become a Marine Engineer?
The best part of pursuing a marine engineering degree after mechanical engineering is that you don’t have to go through the four years of rigorous engineering training, which a marine engineer has to go through. All you need is a one year specialized course.
A one year Graduate Marine Engineering (GME) course after mechanical engineering would give students the licence to enter merchant navy. This one year GME course is all you need to become a marine engineer after doing mechanical engineering.
However, there are certain requirements which one should satisfy in order to join the one year marine engineering course. They are as follows:
- Graduation in BE (Mechanical) Engineering / Naval Architecture with minimum marks of 50% in final year
- Must have minimum 50% marks in English language at 10th or 12th or in Degree Exam.
- Must not be more than 28 years old
- Should satisfy all health requirements that are necessary to join the merchant navy. To know more about the medical health requirements, read Physical Fitness and Medical Requirements to Join Merchant navy.
Institutes Offering Graduate Marine Engineering Course
If you are a mechanical engineer in India, there are several institutes that are recognized by the Directorate General of Shipping, India and which provide 1 –year Graduate Marine Engineering Course (GME).
Kindly note that each institute has different admission procedure, and thus it is advisable to contact the institute directly in order to get the right information about the course.
Some of the prominent institutes offering GME course are:
- Samundra Institute of Maritime Studies, Lonavala, Maharashtra
- Vel’s Academy of Maritime Education and Training, Chennai
- International Maritime Institute Ltd, Greater Noida
- Garden Reach Ship Builders and Engineers Ltd, Kolkata (Direct Link: GRSE (pdf))
To get the full list of Directorate General of Shipping Approved Colleges offering GME Course, read List of Institutes offering Graduate Marine Engineering (GME) Course in India.
Marine career You Would Like:
Latest Marine career You Would Like:
Get the Latest Maritime News Delivered to Your Inbox!
Our free, fast, and fun newsletter on the global maritime industry, delivered everyday.