In order to draw the highest efficiency from marine engines, they must be run at the highest rated RPM. However, with several norms, traffic rules, fuel efficiency factor etc., marine engines cannot always be operated at high speed. As the RPM of the engine reduces, the air supply from the turbocharger also reduces, starving the combustion space of air and resulting in improper combustion and increased fuel consumption. To counter this problem, auxiliary blowers are fitted. These blowers come into action at particular low loads.
Variable Geometry Turbocharger or Variable Turbine Angle (VTA) Turbocharger is the solution for supplying sufficient scavenge air to marine engine’s cylinder at all load ranges. Let’s find out what is VTA and how does it works.
What is Variable Geometry Turbocharger or VTA?
A VGT or VTA is a turbocharger, wherein movable vanes are replaced for conventional fixed vanes, which can change angles to control the exhaust flow on the turbine blades. This helps the engine control to balance the volume of air with the fuel along the entire engine load range.
Working of VTA
The VGT or VTA consists of nozzle rings equipped with adjustable angle changing vanes.
Each vane is connected to control a ring using a lever, which reduces the thermal hysteresis and increases the positional accuracy.
The vane position or the angle is adjusted by the control ring connected to the electric positional motor via reduction gear.
The control system governs the action of the microprocessor controlled positional motor. The position or angle of vanes is thus altered after comparing the feedback signals of – air pressure after the blower, and exhaust gas temperature before and after the turbocharger.
Advantages of VTA
- Works on the entire load range of the engine
- Eliminates the need of auxiliary blower
- Reduces the fuel consumption
- Reduces exhaust smoke emission and hence air pollution
- Lower’s CO2 , Nox, and Sox emission
- Reduces soot and carbon deposits on combustion and exhaust space
- Reduces fouling of engine parts
- Improves efficiency of the engine
- Economical in operation
If you have any questions, please feel free to ask us in the comments below.
You might also like to read..
- ABS-Approved Sterntube-Less Ship Concept To Save Shipowners Thousands While Keeping Oceans Clean
- Seafarers Win Commitment To Mandatory Internet Access In International Law
- Top 12 Tanker Shipping Companies in the World
- NYK’s First Chief Engineers Successfully Complete NTMA And Internal Training Program
- One Of World’s Largest 24,000TEU Ultra Large Container Carriers Undocked In Shanghai
- Watch: OceanGate’s 2022 Titanic Expedition Document Wreck Of Titanic For Future Generations
- Seafarers’ Unions Agree On New Three-Year Global Minimum Wage ‘Safety Net’ Deal
- What Are Hybrid Ships?
- ONE Inks Shipbuilding Contracts For 10 Very Large Container Ships