NYK has concluded a long-term contract with Mitsubishi Paper Mills Limited for a new wood-chip carrier to be built by Oshima Shipbuilding Co. Ltd. The ship will be able to load 4.3 million cubic feet of wood chips and will contain the following features of an advanced eco-ship:
- The latest design that will allow the vessel to perform well in all types of weather while ensuring low water resistance and high efficiency
- Energy-saving equipment that will lower fuel consumption considerably compared with conventional vessels
- Equipment that complies with SOx (sulfur oxide) emission regulations*
NYK currently has four long-term contracts with Mitsubishi Paper Mills Limited — the largest share of contracts that any shipping company has with Mitsubishi Paper Mills Limited — and this contract will allow the two companies to enhance their eco-friendly transport.
In accordance with its medium-term management plan “Staying Ahead 2022 with Digitalization and Green,” the NYK Group seeks to secure stable freight rates through long-term contracts and continue its efforts to contribute to stable and economical transport of energy resources.
* The International Maritime Organization’s regulations requiring a global 0.5 percent cap on sulphur content in marine fuels starting in 2020.
You might also like to read..
- Seafarers Win Commitment To Mandatory Internet Access In International Law
- ABS-Approved Sterntube-Less Ship Concept To Save Shipowners Thousands While Keeping Oceans Clean
- Top 12 Tanker Shipping Companies in the World
- NYK’s First Chief Engineers Successfully Complete NTMA And Internal Training Program
- One Of World’s Largest 24,000TEU Ultra Large Container Carriers Undocked In Shanghai
- Seafarers’ Unions Agree On New Three-Year Global Minimum Wage ‘Safety Net’ Deal
- Russian Navy Open Fires At Cargo Ship Sailing Towards Mariupol Port
- Methane Leak From LNG Powered Cargo Ship Caught In Infrared Camera
- 4 Filipino Seafarers Arrested In Australia For Reportedly Importing Cocaine