Most of the mariners, after sailing for a few years often start looking for opportunities onshore or ways to upgrade their career so that they can have more options.
One of the most common options many seafarers want to give a try is to start their own company or explore a business idea.
However, considering the major lack of time mariners have to deal with, it is quite difficult to leave aside their personal and professional responsibilities and seek a full-time education program.
But things have changed majorly with the development of technology, resulting in some of the best colleges in the world offering courses and certification in entrepreneurship and business administration.
Why take an online entrepreneurship course?
Most of the seafarers, at a certain point of time, find their future uncertain, torn between the land and the sea. Though they have several ideas waiting to be explored, it is the disconnect with the world that makes them helpless.
But online courses have really changed the game. If you have a thing for entrepreneurship this is the time to learn the fundamentals and dive in.
Entrepreneurship learning is, without doubt, an outstanding foundation for innovation and creativity, tapping into unrealized talents that are required in the world today.
Entrepreneurship education helps budding entrepreneurs to cultivate business-relevant skills, foster character traits focusing on risk-taking, persistence, and learning the good side of failure.
In this article, we have put together a list of the best entrepreneurship courses and training that will help you to start your own business with the support of technical advancement, financial literacy, and the right skillset, aiding you to make a difference and benefit the industry and society as a whole.
This list comprises courses that are both paid and freely accessible with certification that can be applied to all industries, including shipping and maritime, and is suitable for learners at all levels including experts.
10 Best Online Courses Fo Entrepreneurship
1. How To Start Your Own Business Specialization (Michigan State University)
Michigan state university, one of the top research universities in the world, that push the boundaries of discovery and innovation, is offering six courses guiding you in the specialization of your own business and demystify the business creation process; consisting of topics that are crucial for the success of a business.
Topics such as action, strategy, personal passions, capabilities, startup decisions, and many more are taught in this course. This course organized by the university focuses on giving you the execution capability to start a functional business with a reframed thinking process to maximize their success. This course is completely online with a flexible schedule adjustable to your needs, even suggesting you a time phrase that you can dedicate daily starting from scratch.
- Self-paced learning options
- Ability to build a resource inventory that can assess and creates market opportunities
- Trying of potential ideas
- Acquire knowledge of developing a management team
Duration – 8 months
Rating – 4.1 out of 5
2. Entrepreneurship Specialization (Wharton University of Pennsylvania)
Wharton University of Pennsylvania contributes five courses in Entrepreneurship specialization, aiming at developing, funding, growing launching your own business.
This course is conducted by Wharton’s top professors and startup founders that help you develop entrepreneurial mindsets, management of new enterprises with potential for growth and funding.
On completion of this course, you will have a clearer vision of your idea or enterprise and be ready for a capstone project.
- Prepares you in growth strategies.
- Provides an understanding of the essential elements of scaling.
- It gives you a wide variety of financing options.
- Selection to pitch to investors from venture capital firms.
Duration- 2 months
Rating- 4.8 out of 5
3. Entrepreneurship: Launching an Innovation Business Specialization (University of Maryland)
The University of Maryland provides entrepreneurship specialization through four courses that build your skills to turn great ideas into great companies.
This course available in various subtitles and offers an understanding of how to develop to win investor pitches, critical steps to bring innovation in the market place, how to negotiate term sheets, and strategies to establish and maintain a competitive advantage. This course leaves you with an innovation portfolio and business model canvas.
- It helps you to develop an eclectic business plan
- Exploring how to bring innovations successfully in the market.
- Improves your strategic decision making.
- Enhances your entrepreneurial mindset.
Duration – 3 months
Rating – 4.6 out of 5
4. Startup entrepreneurship Specialization (Technion Israel Institute of Technology)
This specialization consists of four courses based on the entire process of creating a start-up from an idea in three parts which include – creative imagination, series of tools, and methods to create an idea into a well-secured reality. All of these career lessons are provided by Dadi Perlmutter who recently was the Executive VP of Intel Corporate.
- Includes hands-on project.
- It helps you generate and implement new streams of ideas.
- It gives an action-driven business plan that puts together all the material acquired in the course.
- During the course, you can create, distil and improve your business plan.
Duration- 7 months
Rating- 4.6 out of 5
5. Essentials of Entrepreneurship: Thinking and Action (University of California, Irvine)
This course is a part of career success specialization that provides you with an understanding of operational challenges involved in creating new business ventures, opportunities to develop new business ideas, and application of entrepreneurial approaches and their concepts. Each course can be independently taken.
- You will gain skills in management, marketing, entrepreneurship, strategic management.
- Improves employment and advancement in today’s workforce.
Duration – 4 hours
Rating – 4.5 out of 5
6. Online Entrepreneurship Courses (Harvard University)
The University of Harvard offers courses in entrepreneurship in emerging economies and entrepreneurship essentials that focus on different aspects of an entrepreneurial journey.
The courses are about tackling complex social problems emerging economies, gaining fundamental business skills and confidence, and about changing entrepreneurial dreams into reality with the help of a proven framework that is taught and mentored by Harvard professors.
Key USPS –
- Privilege to learn from successful entrepreneurs and leading venture capitalists who have the first-hand experience.
- Awareness of opportunities in the fast-growing markets.
- Analyze and interpret data to make business decisions.
Duration – 4 weeks per course
Rating – 4.4 out of 5
Apply here – https://online-learning.harvard.edu/subject/entrepreneurship
Holding the position of the bestselling business course requires only a positive attitude, an easy understanding of general business, accounting, and finance process. Every section of this course can be easily downloaded and watched when offline.
- Learn the right communication guide in the way of business.
- A clear understanding of taxes, business careers, macroeconomics.
- Analyze company financials with ease.
- Through this course, you will gain skills to launch a company and grow it.
Duration – self-paced
Rating – 4.4 out of 5
8. Becoming an Entrepreneur (Massachusetts Institute of Technology)
Massachusetts Institute of Technology presents an online course for all ages and backgrounds taking them through a process of founding a company with a startup mindset, tools to overcome the initial challenges of growing a business. You will learn the business skills and opportunities, steps to take to be successful.
- Clarify the myths of entrepreneurship with true facts.
- As an entrepreneur learn to define your goals.
- Plan your business logistics.
- Understanding what is important for success in a startup world.
Duration- 6 weeks
Ratings- 4.4 out of 5
9. MBA In a Box
Business Lessons from a CEO complete MBA training of five courses consisting of useful information, real-life case studies, financial statement analysis, marketing communications, and management through high-quality production by a knowledgeable instructor – CEO of an 8 figure business. These courses will help you to carry out effective market research, gain experience, and be aware of different negotiating tricks.
- Acquire the same business acumen as MBA graduates.
- Apply best practices when managing people.
- Learn how to perform market segmentation.
- Take your career to the next level.
Duration – Self paced
Rating- 4.5 out of 5
This course of startup operations helps you learn the cardinals of entrepreneurial operations assisting you to optimize your business. Presented by Babson college this course offers you a set of steps, tools, and frameworks that are used to understand the main contemplations for building a startup.
Key USPS –
- Trained by leaders on how to establish a startup.
- Keep in mind the considerations that a required to launch a startup.
- Examine execution risks that are associated with a new venture.
Duration – 4 weeks
Rating – 4.3 out of 5
More universities offering online courses include the centrepiece of contemporary education, which is Entrepreneurship; encouraging students to start their own company with entrepreneurial mindsets.
These courses fit perfectly to anyone entering the business world and want to make a difference. According to your preference, you can choose the course you think will benefit you the most.
Disclaimer: The authors’ views expressed in this article do not necessarily reflect the views of Marine Insight. Data and charts, if used, in the article have been sourced from available information and have not been authenticated by any statutory authority. The author and Marine Insight do not claim it to be accurate nor accept any responsibility for the same. The views constitute only the opinions and do not constitute any guidelines or recommendation on any course of action to be followed by the reader.
The article or images cannot be reproduced, copied, shared or used in any form without the permission of the author and Marine Insight.