Seagull test can also be, more aptly called the Crew Evaluation Test. It is a specialized set of questions prepared for assessing proficiency of a seafarer in terms of basic marine knowledge. This questionnaire functions as an online assessment tool, prepared in accordance with the STCW guidelines for the seafarers.
The purpose of this test is to test basic knowledge of seafarers and see their suitability for a particular job.
Why is crew evaluation test necessary?
The necessity of an effective crew evaluation system such as the Seagull Test can be realized from the fact that there is an acute need for trained and competent staff in the marine industry.
- It is a flexible seafarers’ test which allows all the marine companies to alter the questionnaire according to their specific needs. This helps in absolute evaluation of candidates for their suitability for the job.
- The test is a standard crew test which eliminates chances of discrepancy. This means, all seafarers will be tested on the basis of same STCW approved criteria, in a standardized manner. Hence, efficiency of the entire crew evaluation system enhances greatly.
- Seagull tools such as Ability Profiling Tool (APRO) help marine recruiters to identify ability of a candidate to deal with emergencies early on, and allow them to make reasonable decisions on that basis.
- This is an automated randomized testing tool that maintains the efficiency of testing procedure. This system of crew test cannot be manipulated, and hence offers best results always.
What are the kinds of questions that can be asked?
Seagull test is one of the most common Seafarers tests being used currently.
As such, it is important that all seafarers who wish to apply for a job must acquaint themselves with its pattern. And that is why there are several Seagull trainings and courses available that can be undertaken by mariners for a better preparation for tests.
Seagull offers several courses dealing with different aspects of marine industry, such as crisis and crowd management, Integrated navigation System and Ballast water management. These courses include both theoretical knowledge and practical exercises to provide maximum exposure to the seafarers. As such, both aspects of the course are tested during this crew evaluation test. Some of the most common questions that might be asked in a Seagull test are:
- For a post of assessor, the candidate might be asked about the specific STCW regulations to be considered while assessing a candidate for a particular opening.
- For those dealing with crisis and crowd management:
– What is the procedure for evacuation of disabled persons and those needing special attention?
– How to look for accommodation spaces?
– What are the common reactions of people under stress conditions?
- As a ship security officer, a candidate would be expected to know answers to questions like:
– What are elements of risk assessment process?
– Which security level reflects normal threat conditions?
– What does the ISPS code say about restricted areas?
– Why should the SSO of ship know about the ship’s layout?
– What is the routine for maintenance and modification of the Ship Security Plan?
These are some of the questions that can be asked as part of the Seagull crew test. Upon successful completion of this test, the candidate is granted a COC or Course Diploma, certifying him/her having completed the course and holding competence to handle any situation related to the course.
How to prepare for a Seagull test?
Since this seafarers test is pretty important, it is prudent for mariners to consider it wisely. For this particular crew evaluation test, a mariner would need a complete knowledge of all the shipping basics, along with practical training.
Since practical training is not always easy to come by, especially if you are a freshman, it is important you attain adequate training before taking this crew test. To prepare for seafarers test, following things could be done:
- Obtain seagull course material from the official website. You might be able to purchase it online or download it for free.
- Look for courses specific to the job position you aspire for. Depending on that, you can take several courses which will acquaint you with kind of questions you could face in the final Seagull Test.
- You can take the onboard courses available with the Seagull. These courses offer you both theoretical knowledge and training to handle real life situations. The courses are accompanied with manuals and workbooks that include practice exercises. These exercises serve as practical training for specific situations. Many of the practical exercises are conducted onboard, so as to simulate as real situations as possible.
- Each of above mentioned courses may be accompanied with issuance of Certificate of Competence, which would need additional fee.
- All the Seagull courses are knowledge based, along with necessary skill to handle desired positions. Hence, one of the best ways to prepare for this crew test is to get as much practice as possible.
- A seafarer can obtain a CBT course manual issued by Seagull and send it with their application form to the company where it will be assessed. The results are sent directly to the company in question.
References: thedigitalship, seagull
Latest Ship Safety You Would Like:
Ship Safety You Would Like:
Get the Latest Maritime News Delivered to Your Inbox!
Our free, fast, and fun newsletter on the global maritime industry, delivered everyday.