Though a simple equipment to handle, handheld grinders can be dangerous if proper safety precautions are not taken and if used without wearing personal protective equipment (PPE). This device gives out loud noises and a lot of spark which can be very harmful.
Mentioned below are important points that must be taken into consideration while carrying out grinding work on board ships.
1. Check the Speed
The speed of the grinder must always be monitored. Grinder should not rotate faster than the maximum RPM stated on the wheel.
2. Check Grinding wheel and Grinding Guard
Never use a grinder without the grinding wheel guard which is provided for protection. Check the grinding wheel for any kind of crack or damage before using the grinder.
3. Ensure proper assembly of flanges and other parts
Grinding wheel consists of several smaller parts which should be properly assembled and tightened together. Make sure that the right flanges are used and attached properly for a smooth movement. Ensure that there are no traces of burr or flash.
4. Use Right Wheel Dimension
Using the right dimension of grinding wheel plays an important role in ensuring safety and achieving higher efficiency. Using the right dimension wheel also helps in achieving the maximum allowed rotation speed of the grinding wheel.
5. Always Test Before Running
Grinders must always be tested before beginning any kind of work. Test run the grinder in a safe enclosed area such as beneath the workbench to detect any kind of damage or fault in the wheel or the grinder.
6. Always Wear Personal Protective Equipment
Never use the grinder without wearing all the personal protective equipment and clothing such as goggles, helmets, masks, ear protection, gloves, leather aprons etc. Also ensure that the personal protective equipment and tools are in proper condition before using them.
7. Carry Out Maintenance at Regular Intervals of Time
Carry out maintenance of grinders at regular intervals of time and as stated by the manufacturer. Never use a faulty device and carry out all possible preventive maintenance for safe operation of the grinder .
Ensure your personal safety while working on ships. Download our free eBook – The Ultimate Guide to Personal Safety on Ships
You might also like to read..
- ABS-Approved Sterntube-Less Ship Concept To Save Shipowners Thousands While Keeping Oceans Clean
- Seafarers Win Commitment To Mandatory Internet Access In International Law
- Top 12 Tanker Shipping Companies in the World
- NYK’s First Chief Engineers Successfully Complete NTMA And Internal Training Program
- One Of World’s Largest 24,000TEU Ultra Large Container Carriers Undocked In Shanghai
- Watch: OceanGate’s 2022 Titanic Expedition Document Wreck Of Titanic For Future Generations
- Seafarers’ Unions Agree On New Three-Year Global Minimum Wage ‘Safety Net’ Deal
- What Are Hybrid Ships?
- ONE Inks Shipbuilding Contracts For 10 Very Large Container Ships