Technological innovations in the marine industry have led to the production of new and advanced equipment. For instance, nowadays most boating sunglasses are made of nylon lenses. These are lightweight and their frame is made of thermoplastic and bamboo so they float and do not sink in water.
Why do you need a good pair of boating sunglasses?
Strong sunlight and Ultraviolet rays can be harmful to eyesight, so buying the best boating sunglasses that are specifically designed for boaters, is important to protect the eyes.
If a person sets out on the sea without proper sunglasses, they could get photokeratitis, also known as “snow blindness.” Ophthalmologists have said that it is a condition seen among people who are in the sea for a longer duration without proper glasses.
Water reflects a lot of sunlight which increases the burden on the eyes. While the symptoms of this disease such as redness or discomfort might last for some time, it could also cause permanent damage to the eye.
The American Optometric Association has stated that excessive exposure to ultraviolet rays can lead to the development of eye diseases such as cataracts, pinguecula, macular degeneration, pterygium and even cancer as the skin on the eyelid is thin.
The market is flooded with numerous models, with different shapes, sizes and materials, but it is important to know what features to look for before choosing the best boating sunglasses.
Important features of boating sunglasses
Go for Non-Corrosive, durable and sturdy material
Saltwater is corrosive and excessive sun’s heat in the waters can soften sunglasses made from acetate, as it has less heat tolerance. One should refrain from buying metal frames that will easily corrode in water. It is advisable to go for sunglasses made of a material such as nylon. It is comfortable, sturdy and non-corrosive.
Water reflects light and the glare from it could cause pain in the eyes. Many sunglasses have all the features except providing proper coverage. Hence, sunglasses that give a side coverage or those that fully cover the eyes are ones boaters should buy. Good coverage would prevent the light from reaching your eyes from the frame’s corners and offer great protection.
While looking for perfect sunglasses, comfort is important. Since they would be worn most of the time, they should be comfortable. Most manufacturing companies use good quality rubber on the nose and near the arms of the frames to make the glasses more comfortable and to prevent them from becoming loose and falling off. Some expensive ones also have a channel to prevent sweat from accumulating near the eyes and nose.
Kind of lenses
Sunglasses are either made from glass or polycarbonate plastic. Both these materials have their advantages and disadvantages, that should be considered.
Lenses made of glass offer more clarity in vision however they are heavy, can break easily and are costlier than their plastic counterparts.
Polycarbonate plastic lenses provide great protection from ultraviolet rays and are more durable, lightweight and less expensive. But they do not provide excellent vision clarity as glass and are not scratch-resistant.
Weighing their pros and cons, plastic ones seem to be the better deal. Also, most boaters opt for plastic sunglasses.
Polarised or non-polarised sunglasses
Polarised glasses are darker than non-polarised ones but they prevent intense sunlight from damaging the eyes. They offer better eye protection, and better clarity so that boaters can see the objects with greater visual detail. These sunglasses filter glare and give excellent visual clarity at sea. Hence, boaters should opt for polarised sunglasses.
Opt for mirrored lenses
Mirrored lenses also help to eliminate glare.
Sunglasses consist of numerous tints that are useful in different conditions.
- The blue-tinted ones are perfect when the sunlight and glare are intense.
- Green ones are ideal for fishing and boating as they offer good contrast.
- Silver lenses can be used on land as well as in water to eliminate glare. They also provide comfort to tired eyes.
- Copper lenses- are the best option for cloudy days as they offer increased transmission of light.
- Yellow lenses should be used at dawn and dusk as they offer increased contrast and better clarity in low light.
Now that we are aware of the requisite features, let us have a look at the best boating sunglasses.
1. Costa Del Mar Men’s Fantail 580p Rectangular Sunglasses
Costa’s Fantail 580 P sunglasses for men are quite popular in the market. The company’s 580 lens technology allows the enhancement of colours.
These lenses come in 7 different tints as well. Most importantly, it offers excellent polarisation and significant glare reduction. They also prevent the harmful UVA/UVB and UVC light from reaching your eyes and also filter out excessive blue light.
They are made of a resin frame and a plastic lens with a width of 59 millimetres and a height of 14 millimetres. The bridge is 14 millimetres and the sunglasses arm measures 127 millimetres.
Costa’s 580 Polycarbonate sunglasses offer vision clarity, they can take a heavy impact and are also scratch-resistant. They are lightweight and can be worn without any discomfort for a longer duration.
These Matte-black and blue mirrored polarized sunglasses are perfect for the hot, bright days in the seas. These sunglasses use co-injection technology. They have a bio-based nylon frame that makes them strong and durable. They are manually assembled and have a limited lifetime warranty.
- Polarised lens
- Offers 99.9% glare reduction
- Colour enhancement
- Excellent vision clarity
- Impact and scratch-resistant
- Frames are close to the eyes, tight fit
- Small frame
- Arms are tight
- Loose rubber nose piece
- Not full coverage
[Amazon box = “B00SBYGMFO”]
2. Maivnz Floating Polarized sunglasses for men
Having a TPX frame, sleek and stylish design, Maivnz floating sunglasses are perfect for all kinds of water sports. These come with a triacetate cellulose lens and a UV protective coating.
These black framed sunglasses lens width is 2.45 inches. They are made from an unsinkable plastic material so you don’t have to worry about losing your glasses in water.
Made from great quality TAC polarized lenses, these sunglasses offer high visual clarity. These glasses are transparent, impact and scratch-resistant and anti-reflection.
The TPX material used for making these glasses is lightweight and highly flexible. They are comfortable and also durable. Apart from wearing them while at sea, they can be worn as regular sunglasses too. They come with a lifetime warranty and a month’s money-back guarantee.
- Polarized and UV protection
- High transparency
- Stylish and lightweight
- Wrap-around design
- Ideal for water sports- fishing, boating, sailing etc
- Full coverage
- Not great quality
- Loose frame
- FLOATING SUNGLASSES-Frame made of “unsinkable plastic,” never lose your sunglasses again while on the water. You can enjoy the good time in the lake,river and ocean.
- HD UV400 POLARIZED LENS-We use high quality TAC polarized lens with 100% UV protection.It will filter reflected and scattered light,effectively block UVA,UVB and UVC harmful ray,provides more clearer viewing,protects eyes and anti-glare.They also have high transparency,Impact resistance,Anti-Reflection,Good anti scratch.
- SUPER LIGHT-WEIGHT DESIGN-Our frames use TPX material which is an ultra-lightweight and flexible material designed in Japnese Mitsui for the ultimate in comfort.Superlight,Stylish,Durable,so you can wear all day long without any stress.
- GOOD PARTNER OF OUTDOOR SPORTS-Its wrap around design is quite ideal for outdoor sports such as running,surfing,boating,golfiing and fishing, you can also use it as fashionable accessories in daily life.
- NO RISK TO BUY-All maivnz customers can enjoy worry-free after-sales and perfect customers’ shopping experience. In case of any problem,please contact our customer service team at any time and we will help you solve the problem until satisfied. We are at your service anywhere!
3. Hornet Watersports Floating Sunglasses with polarised lenses
Hornet Watersports sunglasses have polarized lenses and a mirror coating. These black matte glasses have air chambers that allow them to float on water. Having a sporty design, they are ideal for your boating, fishing, canoeing and kayaking trips. You could also flaunt them while relaxing on a beach.
They are regular size and unisex. They offer 100% protection from UV rays and keep your eyes safe.
They make a great gift, as they come with a custom-made box and a special microfiber case.
- Floats on water
- Sporty and stylish design
- Ideal for water sports
- Fits all
- Protects the eyes
- Poor quality
- Loose frame
- Floats on Water: Our sunglasses have special air chambers that enable the frame to float on water. Not only do they float on water, but they are also comfortable, light, and durable.
- Sporty Design: Whether you are kitesurfing, fishing, boating, paddling or just relaxing on the beach, these sunglasses will protect your eyes and float in the water reducing the chances of losing your sunglasses
- Unisex and One Size Fits All: Our floating sunglasses that are polarized are designed to fit both men and women.
- Polarized and UV 400 Protection: Our polarized lenses provide 100% UVA and UVB protection, reduce glare, and will protect your eyes.
- Gift Idea: Each purchase comes with a custom-designed box, microfiber case, and unisex sunglasses. These sunglasses make for a great gift for any boating or watersports lover.
4. INFI Polarized Sunglasses for men
The INFI polarized sunglasses are made of TR90, a thermoplastic. Produced through the latest Swiss technology, this material is the best for making sturdy eyewear. The TR90 frame of these sunglasses is flexible, extremely lightweight, highly durable and comfortable.
The lens is made of nylon and has a mirror coating. They can take ground and water impact and use a special technology that prevents the lens from getting smudged easily.
The lens width is 57 millimetres and the height is 41 millimetres. The Bridge measures 20.4 millimetres and the arms are 128 millimetres. These lenses do not break easily and offer UV protection by filtering UVA, UVB, UVC and harmful blue light up to 400nm. Thus, they offer a clear and sharp vision.
- Made from the latest Swiss technology
- TR90, nylon frame
- Durable, lightweight, sturdy, flexible
- Do not smudge easily
- UV protection
- Clarity and sharp vision
- Not stylish
- Too dark lenses
- Oversized lenses
- Small fitting, tight frame
- ►INFI mens fishing sunglasses are treated with special technology to solve the problem of lens cleaning
- ►Polarized sunglasses The lens are made of Unbreakable.offers the highest degree of protection
- ►High quality TR90 material Frame is both lightweight and durable for all-day comfort
- ►INFI driving polarized sunglasses giving you a clear and glare-free vision.
- ►UV Protection filtering 100% of all UVA, UVB, UVC and harmful blue light up to 400nm
5. KastKing Hiwassee Polarized Sports Sunglasses for Men and Women
KastKings Hiwassee polarized sunglasses are made from high-quality, latest Grilamid,using German and Japanese materials. The glasses have a 1.00 mm thick polarized lens. The width of the lens is 2.5 inches.
These sunglasses are scratch-resistant and anti-glare. The TAC or triacetate lenses offer excellent eye protection, are lightweight and comfortable.
They fit perfectly and do not slip as they have anti-slip nose pieces and temple pads. They are tested with double decentering to see that there is no optical distortion.
These sunglasses are extremely flexible and heat resistant. They are tough and malleable, which makes them a comfortable fit. They provide UV protection and exceed all U.S. ANSI standards.
These sunglasses come with a custom case for keeping them and Prym 1 Camo microfiber pouch and a microfiber cloth for cleaning them.
- Made of high-quality Grilamid frame
- Scratch and impact resistant
- Triacetate lens
- Do not slip
- Comfortable, durable
- Can be used in water and also for running or driving
- Not full coverage
- Lens spotted after being in saltwater
- Too long temples
- Very light colour tone for bright sunny days
- Require constant cleaning
- KEY FEATURES - Polarized lenses reduce glare - Impact resistant TAC lenses protect your eyes from flying objects - Lightweight, durable, and comfortable Grilamid frames – Anti-slip nose and temple pads - Block 100% of the harmful UVA and UVB rays
- OUTSTANDING LENSES – 1.0mm polarized lenses are comparable to the thickness you would find on much higher priced sports eyewear. KastKing TAC (Triacetate) lenses pass a double decentering test to ensure there is no optical distortion which can cause eye strain and headaches. KastKing Polarized reading sunglasses help reduce glare caused by reflected light to improve vision and comfort.
- PREMIUM FRAMES – Made from the same Grilamid material commonly used in military and medical applications, KastKing sunglass frames are lightweight, extremely flexible, and heat and UV resistant. Grilamid frames are well known for their astounding strength, lightweight comfort, shape integrity, and impact resistance. This virtually indestructible ultra-lightweight and malleable material translates to a very comfortable fit and the tacky nose and temple pads prevent slipping.
- BASE LENS COLOR and UV PROTECTION – Smoke lenses are ideal for bright sunlight with the most realistic color reproduction and also work well in medium light and partial shade. Brown lenses increase contrast and depth perception, ideal for partly cloudy to sunny conditions. Copper lenses provide excellent contrast and depth perception, best suited for moderate to low light. KastKing sunglasses block 100% of the harmful UVA and UVB rays and meet or exceed all U.S. ANSI standards.
- PROTECT YOUR EYEWEAR – KastKing includes a molded custom hard case for storage and a custom Prym1 Camo microfiber pouch which can be used for cleaning as well as storing your sunglasses. To avoid lens scratches and lens coating damage, clean your lenses with a clean microfiber cloth or lint free cloths and fresh warm water. Never dip them in saltwater or dry with a paper towel.
6. Rheos Eddies Sport Style Floating Polarized Sunglasses
Rheos eyewear is specially designed for those who love water sports. The Rheos Eddis sunglasses consist of a composite frame and nylon optic lens that are clearer than glass. They are polarized and unsinkable. They have an anti-fog coating too.
The lens width is 3 inches and the bridge and arm measure 20 millimetres and 119 millimetres respectively. These sunglasses are lightweight and super comfortable. Rheos is a part of ‘ 1% for the planet’ and so a part of the profit from the sale of its sunglasses go to organizations that protect coastlines. These sunglasses are specially designed in Charleston and come with free returns and a lifetime warranty.
- Strong and stylish
- Floating sunglasses
- Polarized nylon lenses
- 100% UV protection
- Clearer than glass
- Not very durable
- Loose arms
- Not a proper fit
- Not high quality
- 💧 FLOATING SUNGLASSES MADE FOR WATER – Rheos Eddies are unsinkable sunglasses made for the ultimate sportsmen and women who love the water. These featherlight, rectangular, wraparound frames keep up with your love of watersports with their ability to float. Enjoy every moment in the water with the unsinkable Rheos Eddies sunglasses.
- 💧 LIGHTWEIGHT MEETS PERFORMANCE - The Rheos Eddies Sunglasses are high-performance, floating sunglasses for both men and women. The Eddies never sink, allowing you to retrieve them and enjoy the water your way, without the worry. These floating sunglasses are buoyant, comfortable, and designed to reduce glare- especially on the water.
- 💧 POLARIZED NYLON OPTICS – The Rheos Eddies optics boast the biggest innovation in lenses since polarization: Nylon Optics. Lab-tested to be clearer than glass (with all the benefits of polycarbonate lenses), our Eddies are rated for 120 hours of continuous exposure to humidity and saltwater- the highest in the industry. Perfect for every sport and occasion, our Eddies have 100% UV protection with the VLT you need to keep you protected.
- 💧 COMFORT & CLARITY- When it comes to clarity, comfort, and impact, Rheos sunglasses are light as a feather, tough as a rock, and clearer than glass. All lenses are equipped to protect against saltwater and fingerprints, and feature protective coating that prevent shatter, scratches, and cracking. Temple Width: 98mm, Frame Width: 139mm, Temple Length: 133mm, Lens Width: 62mm, Lens Height: 50mm.
- 💧 HELP US PROTECT OUR WATERWAYS – As a certified member of 1% for the Planet, a portion of every sale supports organizations that protect our coastlines and waterways. Our sunglasses are designed with love in Charleston, SC. We are paddlers, fishers, surfers, and mermaids-in-disguise. Based in the coastal city of Charleston, SC, we need water to breathe. Psst… we’ve got you covered with free 30 day returns & a lifetime warranty too.
7. MALIDAK Polarized Floating Sunglasses for Men and Women
Malidak sunglasses come with a sporty composite frame and triacetate cellulose lens with a UV protection coating and reduced reflection, allowing you to see the underwater fishes. The arms measure 55 millimetres.
They are made of the latest TPX material which makes them nearly unbreakable. They have hollow channels that make them float on water. They are perfect for boating, fishing, voyaging, drifting and surfing.
They come in ‘three-point wrap-around design, suited for American faces. The ductile silicone nose pads sit comfortably on the nose and the non-slip rubber foot does not easily slip from the cheeks. The sunglasses come with a lifetime warranty and you can even return them within 30 days.
- UV Protection
- Special wrap-around design for American faces
- Lifetime warranty
- Easy returns
- Colour distortion
- Small fit
- Not great quality
- 【Floatable Frame】 MALIDAK floating sunglasses for women men is made of newest breakable TPX material with special hollow design, making it float on the water without sinking. Great for outdoor water activities like sea fishing, voyaging, drifting and surf-riding etc.
- 【72 Hours Anti-Sea Water Effect】Polarized lenses not only offers you anti-glare & UVA/UVB protection from the sun, but also helps you eliminate the reflection of water waves, more clearly seeing the fish float and fishes under the water. Besides, the lens have high effect in anti-sea water corrison for at least 72 hours.
- 【Three-point Wrap Around Design】MALIDAK floating sunglasses adapts three-point design, which is specially designed for the face shapes of Americans, you can wear the fishing sunglasses more suitable and comfortable.
- 【Exquisite Details】Ductile silicone nose pads can reduce the pressure of the nose bridge. Soft rubber non-slip foot set fits your cheek perfectly when you do intense exercise. Sturdy and durable hinge provide you a longer usage of the glasses.
- 【Lifetime Warranty & 30 Day Money Back Guarantee】MALIDAK provides lifetime after sale service for all MALIDAK products. All Customers can return and get refunded in case the purchasing is not satisfactory for any reason.
8. DEAFRAIN Polarized Sunglasses for Men and Women
Deafrain HD polarized sunglasses are just right for boating, fishing, beach and also Driving and Outdoors. The lens width is 2.52 inches and they weigh only 0.25 g so you can hardly feel them.
They are 1.00 millimetre Tac scratch-resistant and offer excellent UV protection. They also provide high contrast, detailed and sharp visual clarity.
They are made from Swiss Grilamid TR90 material that makes them lightweight, flexible and durable. It has a wrap-around frame that is suitable for all types of face shapes.
They come in various colours such as green and blue that are ideal for bright sunny days. They have rubber temples and provide full coverage. The sunglasses come with a microfiber cloth, a carry pouch and a UV testing card and a 30-day money-back guarantee.
- HD polarized lens
- Perfect colour contrast
- Excellent visual clarity
- Solid grip
- Not great quality
- Feel sharp at the edges
- EXCELLENT HD POLARIZED LENS- 1.0mm Polarized Tac Scratch-Resistant Lenses –100% Full Spectrum UV protection against the sun's harmful rays. DEAFRAIN Polarized Lens delivers high contrast, crisp definition, and peak visual acuity. Not only perfect for your weekend adventures, but also an excellent choice for your weekday commute.
- SUPERIOR SWISS TR90 FRAMES- Constructed from virtually indestructible SWITZERLAND Grilamid TR 90 material, ultra-lightweight, flexible, yet strong and durable. The classic wrap-around frame is suitable for any face type. These great features make DEAFRAIN polarized sunglasses an excellent choice for outdoor and water sports activities.
- LENSES COLOR OPTIONS- Smoke lenses are ideal for bright conditions – they dim the bright sunlight to ease the strain on your eyes. Green Lens are good in bright conditions, and they work particularly well in moderate-light or partly cloudy conditions. Blue Lenses are ideal for bright sunny conditions and also work well when you are in medium light conditions.
- PERFECT for SPORTS- Rubber Touch Temple and Full-Wrap Fit provide a comfortable but solid grip. Extremely Strong, durable and ultra-lightweight, only 25.0 g, which makes you hardly feel them on your face while ensuring you all-day comfort. - Perfect for Driving, Hunting, Fishing, Boating, Beach, and Outdoors. Sporty, Function, Comfort and Protection, this is the one you've been asking for.
- 30 DAY MONEY BACK SERVICE- All DEAFRAIN polarized sunglasses are backed by 30 Day Money Back and a Lifetime Limited Service. Customers can return and get refunded in case the purchasing is not satisfactory for any reason. Risk-Free Try! -Supplied with cleaning cloth, soft carry pouch, UV testing card, and high quality protective hard case.
9. KUGUAOK Polarized Sports Sunglasses for Men
Kuguak Polarized glasses are anti-glare, anti-reflection and offer great visual clarity. They are designed to block the intense light so that you can see a natural view with colour enhancement. They are made of durable plastic and come with a UV protection coating. The lens width is 2.48 inches while the bridge and arm measure 44mm and 63mm.
The sunglasses come in a hard shell packaging along with a soft cloth and a polarized test card. They can be used for all watersports and outdoor activities. The frame is light and comfortable and doesn’t fall off easily. It comes with a lifetime breakage warranty.
- HD polarized lens
- Made of durable plastic material
- Lightweight and flexible
- Lifetime warranty
- UV protection
- Groovy nose piece
- Too tight
- poor Reflective coating
10. WYND Blocker Vert Motorcycle & Boating Sports Wrap Around Polarized Sunglasses
The WYND multipurpose sunglasses have many features. Their frame and lens are made of plastic and have 100% UV400 protection. The polarized lenses take care of intense and scarred light. The TAC technology makes them high-performance lenses that are impact-resistant and don’t break easily.
The height and width of the lens are 40mm and 60 mm respectively.
It also has a removable wind-resistant eyeliner and these sunglasses can be transformed into goggles as they come with an extra backstrap. The rubber earpieces offer a solid grip and prevent them from falling off. They are ultra-lightweight and specially designed for those who love watersports and other outdoor games.
They come with a microfiber bag that can be used for cleaning the lens too.
- Great fit
- Can be transformed into goggles
- Blocks wind
- Excellent eye protection
- Clear, unaltered vision
- Not full coverage
- poor peripheral view
- Liner not heat-resistant
- Small fit
- TAC POLARIZED LENS - 100% UV400 protection coating blocks 100% harmful UVA & UVB rays while the polarization restores true colors and elimnates reflected, glaring, and scattered light. TAC (Triacetate Cellulose) technology provides a high-performance hard coated polarized lenses which have impact resistant and anti-scratch properties.
- PRODUCT DIMENSIONS - Lens Height - 40mm; Lens Width - 60mm; Temple Length - 130mm; Nose Bridge - 25mm; Frame Width - 140mm
- WYND BLOCKER VERT FEATURES - Removable wind resistant eye liner; Option to convert to goggles with included backstrap; Rubberized ear pieces help maintain stability and grip on users head; Lightweight design ideal for motorcycle and cycling bicycle, driving, running, fishing, racing, skiing, climbing, trekking, boating and/or other outdoor activities.
- INCLUDES - WYND Blocker microfiber bag which can also be used as a lens cleaner; Backstrap to convert from glasses to goggles
- Lifetime guarantee against defects - please contact the WYND Blocker brand owner with any concerns
These are some of the boating sunglasses you can opt for.
You may also like to read –
Disclaimer: The authors’ views expressed in this article do not necessarily reflect the views of Marine Insight. Data and charts, if used, in the article have been sourced from available information and have not been authenticated by any statutory authority. The author and Marine Insight do not claim it to be accurate nor accept any responsibility for the same. The views constitute only the opinions and do not constitute any guidelines or recommendations on any course of action to be followed by the reader.