Dangerous cargo endorsement is a certificate of authorization for a seafarer, qualifying him/her for working on any vessel dealing with cargo that are categorized as maritime dangerous goods. Shipping of materials like gasoline, petroleum, chemicals etc requires specialized authorization by the government of a nation for a vessel to handle them. To be qualified to work on such vessels, every seafarer would need a DC endorsement.
Why is Dangerous Cargo Certificate Necessary?
A dangerous cargo certificate is a very important part of a seafarer’s qualifications if he/she intends to work on vessels dealing with maritime dangerous goods.
But here are some reasons why having this endorsement is so important.
– A dangerous cargo certificate ensures of a seafarer’s abilities to handle maritime dangerous goods in international waters according to the rules put forth by IMO.
– The certificate endorsement ensures a seafarer’s familiarization with dangerous goods regulations. It does not matter what position you work on, holding this certificate is imperative.
– The dc endorsement certificate is issued after the seafarer has taken examination and undergone training, as per the regulation of respective government. Training in dangerous cargo handling ensures that seafarers are well equipped to handle every emergency on ships.
How to get dangerous cargo certificate endorsed and what to remember?
In order to obtain an endorsement for your dangerous cargo certificate, you would need an authorization from your country of citizenship’s government. Following procedure can be followed for the same:
– Obtain a form for endorsement of your dc certificate
– Attach attested copies of additional documents that are mandatory along with your endorsement form. These documents include:
- Certificate of competency
- Oil/chemical/liquid gas familiarization course
- Specialized training program oil/chemical/ gas tanker course
- Advanced fire fighting course, fire prevention course
- Liquid cargo handling course
- Documents depicting past experience on tankers and other similar vessels
- Indos number
- Medical fitness certificate ( updated in preceding six months)
– Besides the above mentioned documents, you may also need to attach reports from the Master or Chief Engineer on the ship board training and service, along with a certificate attesting satisfactory completion of shore based training.
– The form and the attested photocopies of all required documents along with the mandatory fee should be sent to the central authority that handles endorsement in the country of your citizenship.
Important Points to Consider While Applying for a DC Endorsement Certificate
While applying for dc endorsement, you should consider the following points carefully.
– You must have done required course and have obtained necessary training in the desired area, as per the dangerous goods regulations.
– The endorsement certificate/training varies for the kind of vessel you wish to work on, namely- petroleum, chemicals or liquid gas. You must consider this before applying for endorsement.
– The certificates and qualifications needed for dangerous cargo endorsement certificate vary with the position held by the seafarer. For example, as per the dangerous goods regulations of India, crew members seeking dc endorsement would need certification in a primary tanker course, besides mandatory documents like CDC, PP and INDOS number. But a management level officer would also need additional courses and training like management level LCHS, AFF along with a greater experience of working on similar vessels in past.
– As per the IMO guidelines, a dc endorsement certificate would remain valid only as long as validity of Certificate of Competence remains intact. So you must check validity of your certificate of competence before applying for endorsement certificate.
– Different governments have different eligibility criteria for DC endorsements. You must ensure you fit those criteria before you apply for endorsement.
– You would be required to provide original copies of all the attached documents at time of collection of the endorsement certificate.
– You must always check for correctness of information filled in the endorsement form. Failure to do so can make you ineligible for endorsement.
When and how to get your DC endorsement certificate revalidated?
Once you obtain your endorsement certificate, it remains valid for a period of five years. Upon successful completion of the period, a seafarer can apply for revalidation of the certificate. Revalidation of the certificate is necessary, as per the IMO guidelines. At time of revalidation, the candidate must:
– Meet the standards of medical fitness as prescribed by the regulations
– Must have completed the updating course or training
– Should have had at least 90 days of working experience in preceding five years on a dangerous goods vessel
– Must be competent to continue services on same or similar vessels
To obtain revalidation, following steps can be followed:
– Obtain a revalidation form
– Attach attested copies of desired documents which include but may not be limited to
- Certificate of Competence
- Medical fitness certificate
- Original DC endorsement certificate
- Report or proof of your work experience in preceding five years of service
- Report from the Master of the vessel you worked on indicating your competence to continue providing satisfactory services
– All the documents must be submitted to the central authority along with two passport sized photographs.
– Revalidation of certificate may or may not require you to pay additional fee
– You will need to produce original copies of all the attached documents at time of collection of revalidation.
Marine Insight News Network is a premier source for up-to-date, comprehensive, and insightful coverage of the maritime industry. Dedicated to offering the latest news, trends, and analyses in shipping, marine technology, regulations, and global maritime affairs, Marine Insight News Network prides itself on delivering accurate, engaging, and relevant information.