Onboard ship different machinery, alarms, and safety equipments need to be checked periodically to ensure the overall safety of ship. In case you have to make a checklist of things to make sure the ship runs safe, what are the things that you would include? We have made a list of important things that should be checked without fail for the overall safety of the ship.
The Periodic Safety Routines on ship include: –
1) Emergency generator should be started and run for reasonable period every week. All parameters such as fuel oil level, lube oil level, water level in radiator etc. are to be noted and monitored.
2) Emergency fire pump should be started and run for reasonable period and pressure should be checked and recorded every week.
3) Carbon dioxide storage room should be visually checked and examined. The release box door should be opened to test alarm and trip of engine room ventillation fans every month.
4) One smoke detector should be checked in each circuit with the help of aerosol to ensure proper operation and indication on the alarm panel every month.
5) Fire push button should be checked for proper working with the help of a special key every month.
6) Machinery space dampers to be greased every week to ensure smooth and proper operation.
7) Fire extinguishers should be observed for their accurate position to ensure they are operable.
8) Fire hose and nozzles should be observed for correct position every month. The nozzle should be tried on hose coupling and the hose should be checked for leakage and also pressure tested. Defective hoses and nozzles should be replaced.
9) Emergency batteries should be checked every month for specific gravity and should be topped up if required. Emergency lightings also need to be checked and replaced if found defective.
10) Life boat should be run for reasonable time every month, along with turning of the rudder, checking of lube oil level by dip stick, fuel oil level, and changing battery charging to other batteries.
11) Watertight doors should be checked for operation both locally and from remote position every week.
12) Quick closing valves should be checked every month if condition persists as all valves cannot be closed. Closing of all valves would hamper normal ship operation.
13) Remote operated valves should be checked for their operation every month.
14) Bilge alarms to be checked in engine room and other places every month.
Image Credit Wikimedia