Regarded to be a major revolutionary spectacle, seasteading refers to development alternate nations and societies on the oceanic domain. The initiative’s origins can be traced back to as early as the start of the 1980s though it was only during the early 21st century that firm steps were taken to bring this visualised fantasy to life.
The concept of sea steading originated as a means of relocating to other feasible geographies so as to evade the problems and threats caused by contemporary societal and inter and intra-national conflicts.
Seasteading thus also involves constructing viable and workable structures that will allow the new-age citizens to combine healthy lifestyles of both work and pleasures, just like any other land-based avenue. Such a structure that would house the citizens is thus referred to as a seastead.
Founded in the year 2008, the Seasteading Institute has been developed as a unilateral establishment to assimilate all possible developmental avenues to come up with viable seastead models. Along with being pioneered by two exceptional visionaries, the Institute also possess the financial backing of a groundbreaking businessman – Peter Thiel.
Based upon the Seasteading Institute’s findings and analyses, the following have been highlighted to successfully bring the sea steading idea to realisation:
– Using ships as seastead colonies. Their hugeness of size and their optimum feasibility even otherwise makes them an ideal choice for seasteading.
– Using poles not dissimilar to drilling rigs in the high seas as sea steading colonies. The poles would provide the required base support required to maintain the colonies’ stability while on water.
– Coming up with other specially designed structures as highly functional seasteading colonisations.
Even as the concept idea of the Seasteading Institute and the people associated with it remains firmly in place, its visualisation is not exempt from flaws. Apart from the huge financial investment required, the non-workability of the seasteads themselves poses a huge threat.
Considering that the oceanic domain is highly unpredictable and subject to volatile changes, it is important to come up with a strong structure with an equally strong foundation. A strong foundation at the structure’s base would ensure that the structure remains poised even in the most volatile of oceans without hampering the day-to-day activities of the citizens.
However even as these problems are discussed and debated, proponents are optimistic about the concept taking-off successfully across the globe. With a specified time-period of three decades hence charted, this optimism doesn’t seem to be unfounded.
The right amalgamation of technical infrastructure and innovatory thinking can definitely bring about the expectantly desired changes for the betterment of populace across.
You might also like to read..
- Seafarers Win Commitment To Mandatory Internet Access In International Law
- ABS-Approved Sterntube-Less Ship Concept To Save Shipowners Thousands While Keeping Oceans Clean
- Top 12 Tanker Shipping Companies in the World
- NYK’s First Chief Engineers Successfully Complete NTMA And Internal Training Program
- One Of World’s Largest 24,000TEU Ultra Large Container Carriers Undocked In Shanghai
- Seafarers’ Unions Agree On New Three-Year Global Minimum Wage ‘Safety Net’ Deal
- Russian Navy Open Fires At Cargo Ship Sailing Towards Mariupol Port
- Methane Leak From LNG Powered Cargo Ship Caught In Infrared Camera
- 4 Filipino Seafarers Arrested In Australia For Reportedly Importing Cocaine