An ice breaker ship is used in extremely cold regions where thick layers of ice are formed on the surface of water.
The ice makes the waters inaccessible for ships or boats. Ice ship is thus used to break the ice sheet to allow other ships to ply in the region.
1. The hull of the ship needs to be really strong to hold against the ice.
2. The shape and the design of the ship need to be specific. A ship with a conventional design cannot be used as ice ship under any circumstances.
3. The ship has to have the strength to withstand the pressure of the ice while it moves ahead in the water and continuously breaks the ice.
4. The propellers and the ballast tanks of the ship are also built in such a way that they do not get affected by the ice.
5. The propellers of the ice breaker ships are always covered with protective covering.