A footage has emerged allegedly showing the Costa Concordia captain leaving the sinking cruise ship while hundreds of passengers were still stuck on board.
Captain Francesco Schettino, who is charged with manslaughter, causing a shipwreck, and abandoning ship, has denied abandoning the sinking ship and instead claims he was thrown into the water as the ship rolled.
The Costa Concordia was carrying more than 4,000 passengers and crew when it struck rocks off the Tuscan island of Giglio and capsized, killing 32 people.
The ship remained partially submerged near the port of the holiday island for more than two years before being raised and towed away this year in one of the largest and most complex maritime salvages ever completed.
Watch the video below:
NOTE: Marine Insight does not have enough information to verify this video and cannot vouch for its accuracy.
Reference: Reporter channel of Il Tempo / euronews
You might also like to read..
- Seafarers Win Commitment To Mandatory Internet Access In International Law
- ABS-Approved Sterntube-Less Ship Concept To Save Shipowners Thousands While Keeping Oceans Clean
- Top 12 Tanker Shipping Companies in the World
- NYK’s First Chief Engineers Successfully Complete NTMA And Internal Training Program
- One Of World’s Largest 24,000TEU Ultra Large Container Carriers Undocked In Shanghai
- Seafarers’ Unions Agree On New Three-Year Global Minimum Wage ‘Safety Net’ Deal
- Russian Navy Open Fires At Cargo Ship Sailing Towards Mariupol Port
- Methane Leak From LNG Powered Cargo Ship Caught In Infrared Camera
- 4 Filipino Seafarers Arrested In Australia For Reportedly Importing Cocaine