In April 2010, the Liberia-flagged container ship, CCNI Antartico hit a gantry crane at ICTSI’s Contecon terminal in Guayaquil, Ecuador. The massive crane collapsed because of the hit. The dramatic video of the accident was captured by a port personnel and uploaded online.
According to the information available online, the 2002-built Gearless boxship with a capacity of 4,100 TEU was on its maiden voyage as part of the CCNI fleet where it has been deployed to serve between Asia and the west coast of South America. During the accident, the CCNI Antartico container ship supposedly brushed another vessel at berth before ploughing into one of three gantry cranes at the Contecon facility.
Luckily no one was injured in the accident. However, the crane was seriously damaged as it collapsed because of the hit. Watch the dramatic video below:
Note : Shaky video
Do you have any more information on the accident or want to correct the details provided in this article? Let us know in the comments below.
You might also like to read..
- Seafarers Win Commitment To Mandatory Internet Access In International Law
- ABS-Approved Sterntube-Less Ship Concept To Save Shipowners Thousands While Keeping Oceans Clean
- Top 12 Tanker Shipping Companies in the World
- NYK’s First Chief Engineers Successfully Complete NTMA And Internal Training Program
- One Of World’s Largest 24,000TEU Ultra Large Container Carriers Undocked In Shanghai
- Seafarers’ Unions Agree On New Three-Year Global Minimum Wage ‘Safety Net’ Deal
- Russian Navy Open Fires At Cargo Ship Sailing Towards Mariupol Port
- Methane Leak From LNG Powered Cargo Ship Caught In Infrared Camera
- 4 Filipino Seafarers Arrested In Australia For Reportedly Importing Cocaine