Boiler cleaning is one of the most important processes that are to be performed routinely on marine boilers on a ship. Boiler cleaning is done to prevent and remove carbon and particle deposits from the boiler.
However, there are certain important points that are to be kept in mind while doing boiler cleaning. In this article we learn about these important points.
Boiler Cleaning: Important Points
- If the boiler water is treated properly with chemicals and the concentration of chemicals is within the acceptable range then the deposits on the walls of water and steam side of the boiler will be minimal.
- If boiler is operating on fresh water rather than heavy water the deposits inside the tubes will also be minimal and can be removed by boiling out. The hard deposits inside the tubes are removed with the help of scrubber and brush from the upper drum.
- If the boiler oil burner is functioning properly and proper maintenance is being carried out from time to time then the soot deposits inside the oil fired boiler will be minimal. But the soot deposits cannot be completely avoided as during starting of boiler soot formation is more and over a period of time it collects inside the boiler space.
- The soot deposits can be removed with the help of water washing with 10 percent soda solution through the inlet door in the uptake with the help of water hose.
- Necessary precautions are to be taken during water washing. It is to be noted that the refractory present inside the boiler does not get wet.
- During water washing the refractory should be covered with the plastic sheet and water should be drained off continuously through the drain provided at the bottom.
- In case the refractory gets wet, the lighting of boiler should be done very slowly, otherwise the refractory will crack and drop down and finally cause overheating and deformation inside.
The above mentioned points are the basic things to be kept in mind while doing boiler irrespective of the type boiler or ship.