A breathing air compressor is used to fill up the oxygen bottles used for fire fighting or entering enclosed spaces. The breathing air compressors, as they are known, needs to be operated in a special way. They are smaller than the conventional compressors found on ship.
While operating the breathing air compressor, there are certain points that should be followed in order to ensure smooth starting and operation of the compressor. The article describes the procedure for starting a breathing air compressor on a ship.
Pre- Starting Procedure
Follow the below step-by-step procedure before starting the compressor.
- Fill water in the filling tank to keep the bottles cooled as heat is generated while filling the air.
- Check oil level in compressor-sump through indicator glass fixed on the side of the compressor.
- Check O-ring is placed in DIN-coupling male part and is in good condition and also no O-ring is there in the female-part of the valve on the bottle.
- Place bottle in water tank.
- Connect hose to the bottle and do not tighten too firmly as the pressure will ensure a proper fit.
- Open the valve on the hose by turning counter clockwise.
- Open the valve on the bottle by turning it counter clockwise.
Procedure for starting the compressor
Following steps are to be followed for starting the compressor:
- Even though the unit has automatic condensate draining you should drain the condensate frequently while filling by turning the knob.
- The compressor will stop on reaching 300Bar. If not you must stop it immediately.
- Close the bottle valve (1) by turning clockwise.
- Close the hose valve (2) by turning anticlockwise.
- After filling all bottles open the hose valve carefully to relieve pressure from hose.
- Drain condensate from the compressor and water from the filling tank.