The technology group Wärtsilä’s industry-leading R&D investments in enabling liquefied petroleum gas (LPG) to become a viable marine fuel has resulted in a further order for the company’s LPG Fuel Supply System (LFSS). Oslo-listed BW LPG, the world’s largest LPG shipping company, has ordered the system to be retrofitted to three very large gas carrier (VLGC) vessels. BW LPG had previously ordered four Wärtsilä LFSS’ in 2018, and an additional eight systems in February 2020. This latest order placed in November 2020, thus brings the total to be delivered to the same customer to 15, thereby emphasising their satisfaction with the technology.
The initial order was placed following Wärtsilä’s successful full-scale testing of the system in 2018 with a full-sized 2-stroke marine engine operating on LPG fuel. This was the world’s first such testing protocol. For the retrofitting, Wärtsilä has been designated as the system integrator, which involves not only installation of the system, but also the required ship design modifications.
“BW LPG took the first step to invest in pioneering propulsion technology based on excellent test results. Subsequent strong performance of the Wärtsilä technology has exceeded our expectations, and we have proceeded to equip our fleet with the LFSS as an important step in our commitment towards fewer emissions, bigger savings, and also a large step towards zero-carbon propulsion” said Pontus Berg, Executive Vice President, Technical and Operation at BW LPG.
“For any fuel to become viable, it takes more than just an engine capable of burning the fuel. An efficient and well designed, high quality fuel supply system is essential, and we have worked hard to bring the Wärtsilä LFSS to the market. LPG as a marine fuel supports environmental sustainability, and we are proud to be contributing to this,” commented Kjell Ove Ulstein, Director of Sales and Marketing at Wärtsilä.
Retrofitting of the latest three systems for BW LPG will take place at the end of 2021 or the beginning of 2022.
Wärtsilä Gas Solutions is a market leader with innovative systems and lifecycle solutions for the gas value chain. Our main focus areas are handling of gas in seaborne transport (storage, fuel, transfer and BOG management), gas to power, liquefaction and biogas solutions. We help our customers on the journey towards a sustainable future through focus on lifecycle, innovation and digitalization.
You might also like to read..
- Seafarers Win Commitment To Mandatory Internet Access In International Law
- ABS-Approved Sterntube-Less Ship Concept To Save Shipowners Thousands While Keeping Oceans Clean
- Top 12 Tanker Shipping Companies in the World
- NYK’s First Chief Engineers Successfully Complete NTMA And Internal Training Program
- One Of World’s Largest 24,000TEU Ultra Large Container Carriers Undocked In Shanghai
- Seafarers’ Unions Agree On New Three-Year Global Minimum Wage ‘Safety Net’ Deal
- Russian Navy Open Fires At Cargo Ship Sailing Towards Mariupol Port
- Methane Leak From LNG Powered Cargo Ship Caught In Infrared Camera
- 4 Filipino Seafarers Arrested In Australia For Reportedly Importing Cocaine