Hyundai Samho Heavy Industries is leading the eco-friendly ship market by delivering the world’s largest LPG-powered ship ‘Bellavista Explorer’, for the first time. Hyundai Samho Heavy Industries announces the signing ceremony held in India favours a non-face-to-face manner in which the officials of the two companies Korea and China are connected remotely.
China Bank of Communications Finance Leasing (Bank of Communications Finance Leasing) ordered the ship with length 229.98 m, width 36.6 m, the height of 23.6 m and LPG capacity of cargo tanks 910,000 cubic meters (m³), making it the world’s largest LPG carrier.
Keeping the environmental factors in mind, the LPG-powered vessel is equipped with an optional dual-fuel propulsion engine that can be used as diesel fuel, to reduce sulfur oxides (SOx) particles by 90%, nitrogen oxide (NOx) by 50% and GHG emissions by 20%.
Hyundai Samho Heavy Industries delivered the world’s first LNG -powered large tankers and super-large container ships in July 2018 and September last year, respectively, and has also successfully delivered LPG- powered ships.
Until now, LPG has not been used as a ship fuel due to its relatively high price. However, since the development of shale gas in the US, LPG production has increased and it is emerging as a next-generation ship fuel as it stabilizes at reasonable prices.
As environmental regulations of the International Maritime Organization (IMO) continue to be strengthened, eco-friendly ships such as LPG- powered ships and LNG- powered ships are in the spotlight. According to Clarkson Research in marine shipbuilding market analysis firm, the order around the world this year, 41 of 55 vessels are LPG powered, making 75% of the total orders.
According to Hyundai Samho Heavy Industries official, “Tightening environmental regulations LPG seems to be pushing the orders to the future. These will continue to lead the field of environment-friendly ships based on dry technology and experience that has accumulated long-term.”
Reference: Hyundai Samho Heavy Industries
You might also like to read..
- ABS-Approved Sterntube-Less Ship Concept To Save Shipowners Thousands While Keeping Oceans Clean
- Seafarers Win Commitment To Mandatory Internet Access In International Law
- Top 12 Tanker Shipping Companies in the World
- NYK’s First Chief Engineers Successfully Complete NTMA And Internal Training Program
- One Of World’s Largest 24,000TEU Ultra Large Container Carriers Undocked In Shanghai
- Watch: OceanGate’s 2022 Titanic Expedition Document Wreck Of Titanic For Future Generations
- Seafarers’ Unions Agree On New Three-Year Global Minimum Wage ‘Safety Net’ Deal
- What Are Hybrid Ships?
- ONE Inks Shipbuilding Contracts For 10 Very Large Container Ships