The Global Mercy, the new-built ship of Mercy Ships, completes its journey and will be outfitted & finished in the port of Antwerp. The largest private hospital ship in the world left the shipyard in China at the end of July, after successfully carrying out mandatory sea trials.
The Global Mercy completed its journey through the Suez Canal and will be further outfitted and finished in Antwerp from September 2021 to February 2022.
Unique international and national cooperation
Port of Antwerp made the arrival of the Global Mercy in Antwerp possible by offering a free berth and support. Volunteers from home and abroad will set up and finish the Global Mercy there as the largest private hospital ship in the world. This includes the installation of medical equipment and IT systems, as well as the supply and crewing of the ship for its first mission.
Largest private hospital ship in the world
The Global Mercy is a unique ship in the passenger class: 174 meters long, 28.6 meters wide and a gross tonnage of 37,000. It has 6 operating rooms, 200 beds, a laboratory, general outpatient clinics and eye and dental clinics. The total area of the hospital department is 7,000 m².
In the spring of 2022, Mercy Ships hopes to be able to start active service with the Global Mercy in Dakar (Senegal), the first of many new missions in the next 50 years.
“This unique project is a highlight in the collaboration between Port of Antwerp and Mercy Ships. The social commitment in the port community is very high, so we are not alone in our support. Dozens of companies in our port already support Mercy Ships structurally and will do the same in the equipping of the Global Mercy. Mercy Ships and the wonderful work they do are close to the heart of the Port of Antwerp,” says Jacques Vandermeiren, CEO of Port of Antwerp.
Marine Insight does not own the rights of the video.
You might also like to read..
- ABS-Approved Sterntube-Less Ship Concept To Save Shipowners Thousands While Keeping Oceans Clean
- Seafarers Win Commitment To Mandatory Internet Access In International Law
- Top 12 Tanker Shipping Companies in the World
- NYK’s First Chief Engineers Successfully Complete NTMA And Internal Training Program
- One Of World’s Largest 24,000TEU Ultra Large Container Carriers Undocked In Shanghai
- Watch: OceanGate’s 2022 Titanic Expedition Document Wreck Of Titanic For Future Generations
- Seafarers’ Unions Agree On New Three-Year Global Minimum Wage ‘Safety Net’ Deal
- What Are Hybrid Ships?
- ONE Inks Shipbuilding Contracts For 10 Very Large Container Ships