In a video released by the US Navy, the Iranian Guard’s Boghammer can be seen speeding towards the patrol ship USS Sirocco, in the strategic waterway at the mouth of the Persian Gulf. The encounter which lasted for an hour has been criticised by the US Naval command.
According to the US Naval Forces Central Command, the Cyclone-class patrol ship USS Sirocco and Spearhead-class fast transport USNS Choctaw County were on a regular transit when the Iranian boghammer came within 45 yards of the Choctaw county. They diverted after Sirocco let off repeated warning sirens and deployed a flare which can be heard in the video.
The US Navy said that IRGC’s actions are not in compliance with the international standards of professional maritime behaviour, increasing safety risks at sea.
Video Credit: Defense Flash News / YouTube
According to reports, this was not the first US-Iran naval encounter in the Persian Gulf. In March 2022, three IRGC vessels and US Coast Guard Ships were embroiled in a two-hour encounter when the Iranian Catamaran came within 25 yards of the US Robert Goldman, increasing the risk of collision. The Navy did not reveal this incident until the videos of the recent encounter were made public.
The recent event occurred against the backdrop of tattered negotiations regarding Iran’s nuclear deal with major powers. In the 2015 deal, Iran had agreed to decrease uranium acquisitions in exchange for removing economic sanctions. However, heightened tension continues as Iran acquires enriched uranium rendering its supplies to weapons-grade levels.
Video credits: Defense Flash News
You might also like to read..
- Seafarers Win Commitment To Mandatory Internet Access In International Law
- ABS-Approved Sterntube-Less Ship Concept To Save Shipowners Thousands While Keeping Oceans Clean
- Top 12 Tanker Shipping Companies in the World
- NYK’s First Chief Engineers Successfully Complete NTMA And Internal Training Program
- One Of World’s Largest 24,000TEU Ultra Large Container Carriers Undocked In Shanghai
- Seafarers’ Unions Agree On New Three-Year Global Minimum Wage ‘Safety Net’ Deal
- Russian Navy Open Fires At Cargo Ship Sailing Towards Mariupol Port
- Methane Leak From LNG Powered Cargo Ship Caught In Infrared Camera
- 4 Filipino Seafarers Arrested In Australia For Reportedly Importing Cocaine