The technology group Wärtsilä is partnering with the cyber security company Templar Executives to establish a world-class cyber academy in Singapore. The academy will offer courses designed to support and enhance the collective cyber maturity of the wider shipping community, notably operators and owners.
“We believe this is a first for the maritime industry; a centre of excellence including a cyber academy, combining threat intelligence and cyber education designed to support collaboration for our customers and the wider maritime community,” says Marco Ryan, Chief Digital Officer at Wärtsilä.
The cyber academy’s courses will cover a range of relevant topics, from cyber security coaching for senior management to cyber awareness for all organisational levels within the maritime industry. The academy, which is located in the Wärtsilä Digital Acceleration Centre in Singapore, will become operational from 1 May 2018 and initially courses will be delivered in Singapore and London.
“Cybercrime damages are predicted to cost the world 6 trillion dollars annually by 2021,” says Andrew Fitzmaurice, CEO at Templar Executives and continues:
“The NotPetya attack last year put the maritime industry firmly on the radar, highlighting the need for a paradigm shift in response to the escalating cyber threats. Our ground-breaking initiative with Wärtsilä aims at creating the first ever maritime cyber emergency response team to support the industry on a global scale.”
In delivering this initiative, Wärtsilä and Templar Executives will be actively contributing to sustainable cyber security solutions across the maritime environment. This includes building a cyber security reporting portal for the sharing of threat intelligence, as well as operational and resourcing expertise to jointly develop Cyber as a Service options. The partners will also work together with key stakeholders, including the Singapore government and CSO Alliance (Company Security Officers).
“We are excited to collaborate with Templar Executives in offering the maritime industry a totally new initiative. Templar Executives has a proven track record in delivering discreet and valued solutions that improve cyber resilience and maturity to global markets, which is why we have chosen them as our strategic cyber security partner,” says Mark Milford, Vice President, Cyber Security at Wärtsilä.
Press Release: wartsila.com
You might also like to read..
- Seafarers Win Commitment To Mandatory Internet Access In International Law
- ABS-Approved Sterntube-Less Ship Concept To Save Shipowners Thousands While Keeping Oceans Clean
- Top 12 Tanker Shipping Companies in the World
- NYK’s First Chief Engineers Successfully Complete NTMA And Internal Training Program
- One Of World’s Largest 24,000TEU Ultra Large Container Carriers Undocked In Shanghai
- Seafarers’ Unions Agree On New Three-Year Global Minimum Wage ‘Safety Net’ Deal
- Russian Navy Open Fires At Cargo Ship Sailing Towards Mariupol Port
- Methane Leak From LNG Powered Cargo Ship Caught In Infrared Camera
- 4 Filipino Seafarers Arrested In Australia For Reportedly Importing Cocaine