Boundary Layer Technologies, a California based marine technology startup launched their fully electric hydrofoiling ferry concept design on Oct 27th 2021. ELECTRA – twice the speed and range of existing electric ferries – has a range of up to 100 nautical miles and cruise speed of 40 knots due to Boundary Layer Technology’s proprietary hydrofoil technology and podded propulsion system.
Compared to fossil fuel alternatives, ELECTRA’s battery electric propulsion significantly reduces cabin noise by up to 20dB compared to conventional ferries. It’s foiling system also offers excellent seakeeping and ride comfort.
“Hydrofoil technology is the key to enabling electrification of passenger ferries” explains Ed Kearney, CEO of Boundary Layer Technologies.
“By reducing the drag of the vessel by a factor of two, the powering requirements are also halved, which increases the speed and range of what an electric ferry can do. This opens the door to electrification of the majority of ferry routes across the world.”
The ELECTRA ferry offers OPEX reductions of up to 35% compared to fossil fuel burning fast ferry alternatives, as well as helps operators de-risk the future cost uncertainties of carbon taxes and emissions trading schemes being implemented globally.
“We think Electra is an exciting development of ferry technology and shows promise for decarbonizing ferry operations and adding to the customer’s experience” says Patrick Murphy, President, Blue & Gold Fleet, who is the contract operator of San Francisco’s 15 high speed ferries.
Boundary Layer Technologies has already developed the hydrofoil and control systems required for ELECTRA, and plans to have the first vessels in operation by Q1 2024 in regions such as the United States, Scandinavia, and the Mediterranean.
Marine Insight does not own the rights of the video.
You might also like to read..
- ABS-Approved Sterntube-Less Ship Concept To Save Shipowners Thousands While Keeping Oceans Clean
- Seafarers Win Commitment To Mandatory Internet Access In International Law
- Top 12 Tanker Shipping Companies in the World
- NYK’s First Chief Engineers Successfully Complete NTMA And Internal Training Program
- One Of World’s Largest 24,000TEU Ultra Large Container Carriers Undocked In Shanghai
- Watch: OceanGate’s 2022 Titanic Expedition Document Wreck Of Titanic For Future Generations
- Seafarers’ Unions Agree On New Three-Year Global Minimum Wage ‘Safety Net’ Deal
- What Are Hybrid Ships?
- ONE Inks Shipbuilding Contracts For 10 Very Large Container Ships