As previously reported, European Car Carriers (UECC), jointly owned by Nippon Yusen Kabushiki Kaisha (NYK) and Wallenius Lines, signed a contract to construct three new generations PCTC with China Ship Building Trading Co., Ltd and Jiangnan Shipyard Group Co. Ltd.
The steel cutting ceremony for UECC’s second LNG Battery Hybrid powered PCTC took place at Jiangnan Shipyard, Shanghai, China on the 20th of May 2020. Given the current Covid-19 crises, the official Steel Cutting Ceremony was somewhat subdued. However, UECC’s CEO Glenn Edvardsen, stated “It pleases me tremendously that UECC is able to push ahead with this significant fleet renewal program, despite all the Covid-19 related challenges facing our industry”.
As Mr. Edvardsen has stated before, “the LNG /Battery/Hybrid installation will be a pioneering design and will take UECC beyond the IMO target of a 40% reduction in carbon intensity by 2030.” He concluded that “UECC’s parent companies, NYK and Wallenius Lines, have sustainability in their DNA and It is an honor to be able to take UECC to the next level of clean shipping with their support.”
You might also like to read..
- Seafarers Win Commitment To Mandatory Internet Access In International Law
- ABS-Approved Sterntube-Less Ship Concept To Save Shipowners Thousands While Keeping Oceans Clean
- Top 12 Tanker Shipping Companies in the World
- NYK’s First Chief Engineers Successfully Complete NTMA And Internal Training Program
- One Of World’s Largest 24,000TEU Ultra Large Container Carriers Undocked In Shanghai
- Seafarers’ Unions Agree On New Three-Year Global Minimum Wage ‘Safety Net’ Deal
- Russian Navy Open Fires At Cargo Ship Sailing Towards Mariupol Port
- Methane Leak From LNG Powered Cargo Ship Caught In Infrared Camera
- 4 Filipino Seafarers Arrested In Australia For Reportedly Importing Cocaine