South Carolina Ports Authority announced record container volume of 2.2 million twenty-foot equivalent container units (TEUs) handled during the 2018 fiscal year, an increase of three percent over the previous fiscal year.
SCPA handled 201,163 TEUs in June, the single highest month for container volume in the Port’s history and a 10 percent increase over June 2017. June was a strong finish to the Port’s fiscal year, which began in July.
As measured in pier containers, or the number of boxes that moved across the docks of SCPA’s two container terminals, the Port handled 115,696 containers in June and a total of 1.25 million containers in FY2018.
“June container volumes were exceptional, marking the first time our Port has handled more than 200,000 TEUs in a single month,” said SCPA president and CEO Jim Newsome. “We achieved the three highest months of container volume in the Port’s history in March, May and June. As compared to FY2010, SCPA has grown by over 900,000 TEUs for a compound annual growth rate of seven percent. Such growth is a significant accomplishment that reflects a broad expansion of the Port’s cargo base, the commitment of our staff and the overall success of our maritime community.”
Press Release: scspa.com
You might also like to read..
- Seafarers Win Commitment To Mandatory Internet Access In International Law
- ABS-Approved Sterntube-Less Ship Concept To Save Shipowners Thousands While Keeping Oceans Clean
- Top 12 Tanker Shipping Companies in the World
- NYK’s First Chief Engineers Successfully Complete NTMA And Internal Training Program
- One Of World’s Largest 24,000TEU Ultra Large Container Carriers Undocked In Shanghai
- Seafarers’ Unions Agree On New Three-Year Global Minimum Wage ‘Safety Net’ Deal
- Russian Navy Open Fires At Cargo Ship Sailing Towards Mariupol Port
- Methane Leak From LNG Powered Cargo Ship Caught In Infrared Camera
- 4 Filipino Seafarers Arrested In Australia For Reportedly Importing Cocaine