Clean technology company Silverstream Technologies has announced that they have been jointly awarded the Royal Institution of Naval Architects’ QinetiQ Maritime Innovation Award, alongside Shell Shipping & Maritime, for the recent retrofit installation of the Silverstream® System onboard the Shell-chartered LNG carrier Methane Patricia Camila.
The award, which recognises innovations that are making significant improvements in the design, construction and operation of ocean-going vessels, has been presented to the companies for their efforts to drive forward the use of proven efficiency technologies within shipping.
The announcement supports Silverstream’s continued ambition to make air lubrication a standard on all vessels. It also follows the recently announced completion of trials of the System onboard the Methane Patricia Camila. During these trials, Silverstream and Shell’s engineers demonstrated 6.6% net savings generated by the Silverstream® System.
The recognition of the retrofit installation by RINA and QinetiQ highlights the important role of fuel agnostic proven technologies, like the Silverstream® System, alongside future fuels, in achieving the necessary emissions’ reduction within the global fleet. It also reflects the actions that owners and operators can take today – by embracing proven clean technologies – to improve the efficiency of their existing assets.
Silverstream and Shell will donate the prize money for this award to the Mission to Seafarers, to support the charity’s work helping those at sea.
Speaking on the announcement, Noah Silberschmidt, CEO, Silverstream Technologies, said: “We are proud to be awarded the QinetiQ Maritime Innovation Award in collaboration with Shell and would like to thank RINA and QinetiQ for their recognition of this pioneering retrofit installation.
“We believe that this retrofit installation with Shell is just the beginning; impending regulations, such as the IMO’s proposed Energy Efficiency Existing Ship Index (EEXI), will make projects such as this essential for achieving our common goals.
“The award follows an incredible start to the year for us here at Silverstream Technologies and is truly reflective of our strong partnership with Shell. With a number of installations ongoing and more orders in the pipeline, we anticipate a milestone next 12 months for our organisation.”
You might also like to read..
- ABS-Approved Sterntube-Less Ship Concept To Save Shipowners Thousands While Keeping Oceans Clean
- Seafarers Win Commitment To Mandatory Internet Access In International Law
- Top 12 Tanker Shipping Companies in the World
- NYK’s First Chief Engineers Successfully Complete NTMA And Internal Training Program
- One Of World’s Largest 24,000TEU Ultra Large Container Carriers Undocked In Shanghai
- Watch: OceanGate’s 2022 Titanic Expedition Document Wreck Of Titanic For Future Generations
- Seafarers’ Unions Agree On New Three-Year Global Minimum Wage ‘Safety Net’ Deal
- What Are Hybrid Ships?
- ONE Inks Shipbuilding Contracts For 10 Very Large Container Ships