Shipping Corporation of India (SCI) has to play an important role in the energy security of the country and all efforts would be made to further boost the capacity of the SCI and the sector in this regard to ensure that national interests are fully safeguarded”, said Minister of State for Shipping, Road Transport and Highways, Chemicals & Fertilizers, Shri Mansukh Lal Mandaviya. He was reviewing the activities of Shipping Corporation of India in Mumbai today.
He said that Government of India will consider giving shipping the status of Infrastructure in the country and all efforts would be made to improve it’s productivity. The Minister was briefed by the senior officers of the Shipping Corporation of India about the recent business initiatives like formation of Inland Waterways, subsidiary to undertake transportation on NW-1, NW-2 & NW-5 and increasing coastal presence by providing weekly services on west & east coast of India. The Minister said that SCI should make special efforts to attract more cargo business from the government sector which includes various Ministries, Departments, and PSUs under Government of India and State Governments.
As far as the inland waterways are concerned, the Minister emphasised that there is great potential to improve and increase inland waterways and canal tourism in India. He said that Government of India would ensure that all possible resources are made available to SCI for the development of the sector.
The Minister also stressed on the need for skill development in the maritime sector mainly for seafarers and applauded the efforts of SCI in terms of providing training courses to Deck & Engine officers at Maritime Training Institutes at Mumbai & Tuticorin. He suggested that Major Ports & SCI must join hands in this area to further augment the availability of skilled seafarers.
You might also like to read..
- Seafarers Win Commitment To Mandatory Internet Access In International Law
- ABS-Approved Sterntube-Less Ship Concept To Save Shipowners Thousands While Keeping Oceans Clean
- Top 12 Tanker Shipping Companies in the World
- NYK’s First Chief Engineers Successfully Complete NTMA And Internal Training Program
- One Of World’s Largest 24,000TEU Ultra Large Container Carriers Undocked In Shanghai
- Seafarers’ Unions Agree On New Three-Year Global Minimum Wage ‘Safety Net’ Deal
- Russian Navy Open Fires At Cargo Ship Sailing Towards Mariupol Port
- Methane Leak From LNG Powered Cargo Ship Caught In Infrared Camera
- 4 Filipino Seafarers Arrested In Australia For Reportedly Importing Cocaine