Water quality monitoring market leaders Rivertrace has expanded their product range with the addition of a new Smart WiO – Water in Oil sensor that continuously monitors dissolved water content in oil allowing ship operators to proactively limit the risk of engine and machinery corrosion.
Contamination of oil with dissolved water poses a significant corrosion risk to engine machinery. All oil can absorb a certain volume of dissolved water up to a maximum concentration called the ‘saturation point’.
When the saturation point of an oil is exceeded, any unabsorbed water will fall out of the oil as free water and can cause corrosion inside the engine. The saturation point can change with an oil’s age, cleanliness, temperature and other factors including composition, whether the oil is mineral or synthetic and the formulation of additives.
Water in oil content has traditionally been measured by test kits which detect free water in lubricating oil or emulsion from 100.02% humidity. However, any water content values measured exceeding 100% humidity indicate that free water is already present, and the engine is being exposed to corrosion and oil degradation.
To mitigate corrosion risk from water in oil, Rivertrace has introduced the Smart WiO Sensor that uniquely uses capacitive measurement of absorbed water in oil with continuous monitoring. The Smart WiO Sensor continuously monitors water content value as % humidity taking consideration of the oil temperature. The sensor also measures the saturation of the oil independently from the oil type and oil age.
Its intended use is for preventative maintenance protocols and condition-based monitoring for lubricating and hydraulic oil, detecting water presence to avoid costly damage and premature wear with early warnings from pre-set alarms. At 50% humidity, the WiO Sensor shows a pre-alarm allowing the crew to take preventative actions to reduce the water content. At 90% humidity, the main alarm is triggered alerting crew before any free water is present in the oil.
Gillian Peden, Business Development Manager: “As specialists in water quality monitoring we are expanding our range or products to offer our customers a partner for their maintenance and compliance monitoring needs. Rivertrace is committed to ensuring that the marine industry has the right tools to measure Water in Oil and limit the risk of engine corrosion and premature wear with our solution the new Smart WiO Sensor.
You might also like to read..
- ABS-Approved Sterntube-Less Ship Concept To Save Shipowners Thousands While Keeping Oceans Clean
- Seafarers Win Commitment To Mandatory Internet Access In International Law
- Top 12 Tanker Shipping Companies in the World
- NYK’s First Chief Engineers Successfully Complete NTMA And Internal Training Program
- One Of World’s Largest 24,000TEU Ultra Large Container Carriers Undocked In Shanghai
- Watch: OceanGate’s 2022 Titanic Expedition Document Wreck Of Titanic For Future Generations
- Seafarers’ Unions Agree On New Three-Year Global Minimum Wage ‘Safety Net’ Deal
- What Are Hybrid Ships?
- ONE Inks Shipbuilding Contracts For 10 Very Large Container Ships