During 22-28 Oct 19, three incidents of armed robbery against ship in Asia were reported to ReCAAP ISC by ReCAAP Focal Points.
One was a CAT 21 incident in the Singapore Strait, one was a CAT 4 2 at Cigading Anchorage, Indonesia and the third was an attempted3 incident also occurred in the Singapore Strait.
The location of the incidents is shown in the map below, and detailed description is tabulated in the attachment.
1. The ReCAAP ISC classifies CAT (Category) 2 incident as moderately significant. Under this category, the perpetrators are likely to be armed with knives/machetes and in some incidents armed with guns. The crew is threatened or held hostage temporarily and, in some cases, the crew suffered injury and physical violence.
2. CAT (Category) 4 incident is classified as “least significant” in nature. Under this category, the perpetrators were not armed and the crew not harmed.
3. Attempted incident is incident where perpetrators tried but failed to board the ship.
SITUATION IN THE SINGAPORE STRAIT
Concerning the incidents occurred in the eastbound lane of the Singapore Strait, ReCAAP ISC recommends to refer to its Incident Alert issued on 23 Oct 19.
SITUATION OF ABDUCTION OF CREW IN THE SULU-CELEBES SEAS AND WATERS OFF EASTERN SABAH
As the risk of the abduction of crew in the Sulu-Celebes Seas and waters off Eastern Sabah is high, ReCAAP ISC reiterates its advisory issued via ReCAAP ISC Incident Alert dated 21 Nov 16 to all ships to reroute from the area, where possible.
Otherwise, ship masters and crew are strongly urged to exercise extra vigilance while transiting the area, and report immediately to the Operation Centres of Philippines and Eastern Sabah Security Command (ESSCOM) of Malaysia. The contact details of the Operation Centres of the Philippines and ESSCOM of Malaysia (updated by ReCAAP ISC on 3 Jan 19) are as follows:
In the event that the ship master is not able to establish contact with the Operation Centres of the Philippines as listed in the ReCAAP ISC Advisory, he can contact the Philippine Coast Guard Command Centre at the following contact details:
- Tel: +63-2-5273877 (direct)
- +63-2-527-8481 to 89 (ext: 6136/37)
- +63-917-724-3682 (mobile)
- +63-929-825-3207 (mobile)
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org