A special flight with 14 citizens of Ukraine – members of the crew of the Ruta tanker, who returned home after more than 3 years of imprisonment in Libya, landed at Boryspil International Airport. President Volodymyr Zelenskyy commended the arrival of fellow citizens in the homeland.
“Our task is to return Ukrainian citizens. I am very glad that after almost three and a half years behind bars in Libya, 14 members of the crew of the Ruta tanker returned home. I am happy for them, for their families,” Volodymyr Zelenskyy said.
The President thanked the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, the Security Service of Ukraine, and all those who helped for their successful work.
In April 2017, Ukrainian sailors were detained in Libya on charges of involvement in the smuggling of petroleum products. Due to the complicated domestic political and security situation in this country, the consideration of the case of Ukrainians by the Libyan courts has not been completed for a long time.
Due to the coordinated actions of the relevant authorities, Ukraine managed to achieve results in negotiations with the Libyan party and return our citizens home.
You might also like to read..
- Seafarers Win Commitment To Mandatory Internet Access In International Law
- ABS-Approved Sterntube-Less Ship Concept To Save Shipowners Thousands While Keeping Oceans Clean
- Top 12 Tanker Shipping Companies in the World
- NYK’s First Chief Engineers Successfully Complete NTMA And Internal Training Program
- One Of World’s Largest 24,000TEU Ultra Large Container Carriers Undocked In Shanghai
- Seafarers’ Unions Agree On New Three-Year Global Minimum Wage ‘Safety Net’ Deal
- Russian Navy Open Fires At Cargo Ship Sailing Towards Mariupol Port
- Methane Leak From LNG Powered Cargo Ship Caught In Infrared Camera
- 4 Filipino Seafarers Arrested In Australia For Reportedly Importing Cocaine