The Philippines continues to be the largest provider of officers and seafarers. It delivered an income of $6.4 billion in 2020. Reports from United Nations Conference on Trade and Development (UNCTAD) depicted that the world’s largest seafarer-supplying region is Asia.
Among Asian nations, the Philippines has secured its position as the leading supplier of officers and seafarers. Asia successfully expanded its lead in marine business and trade as four of the top five countries that were supplying seafarers in the current year were Asian countries. The Philippines made it to the top of the chart.
Indonesia came fifth for officers and third in terms of ratings. China, on the other hand, came third in terms of officers and fourth in terms of ratings, while India secured the fourth position in terms of officers and fifth in terms of ratings. The Russian Federation was the other in the list of top five.
The Philippines earned $6.5 billion in 2019 from seafarers. The number, however, dropped by 2.8% last year to $6.4 billion as reported in UNCTAD’s Review of Maritime Transport 2021. The report was that thousands of seafarers had been stuck at sea long after contract time.
Others, on the other hand, were not capable of signing up for their time at sea owing to the ongoing pandemic.
Both the Maritime Industry Authority or the Marina and Philippine Ports Authority or the PPA were quick in addressing the crisis of crew change so that the global shipping trade stays undisturbed. It would also help seafarers return to work.
The Philippines earmarked large ports as crew change hubs and areas where seafarers who test Covid positive could take help from. UNCTAD explained that immediate attention is required from labor-supplying states, in association with international organizations to p0ut an end to the crisis.
The continent’s liner shipping connectivity outperformed all other regions, as the top five most well-connected economies in 2021’s second quarter were from Asia – Republic of Korea, Hong Kong, Malaysia, China, and Singapore.
You might also like to read..
- ABS-Approved Sterntube-Less Ship Concept To Save Shipowners Thousands While Keeping Oceans Clean
- Seafarers Win Commitment To Mandatory Internet Access In International Law
- Top 12 Tanker Shipping Companies in the World
- NYK’s First Chief Engineers Successfully Complete NTMA And Internal Training Program
- One Of World’s Largest 24,000TEU Ultra Large Container Carriers Undocked In Shanghai
- Watch: OceanGate’s 2022 Titanic Expedition Document Wreck Of Titanic For Future Generations
- Seafarers’ Unions Agree On New Three-Year Global Minimum Wage ‘Safety Net’ Deal
- What Are Hybrid Ships?
- ONE Inks Shipbuilding Contracts For 10 Very Large Container Ships