A ribbon-cutting ceremony was held today to launch a new platform that the NYK Group has developed for ship management. Named “NiBiKi,” the platform will reduce burdens for the onboard crew, thus helping them to work comfortably and concentrate on ship operations. The data will be shared with five ship-management companies* overseeing about 260 vessels to realize further safety.
In accordance with the Safety Management System (SMS) manual, the onboard crew should make a report about safety management to the ship-management company every day. However, the conventional operation flow had some inefficiencies. Crews would have to draft various reports and applications, and then send emails with attachments to ship-management companies to obtain approval.
Afterwards, crews would need to file printouts of the reports to show third parties, such as auditors. Moreover, the information reported by the ship was not being used efficiently because each vessel and ship-management company would file the data independently. The NYK Group thus developed NiBiKi to reduce crew reporting workload and enable the data to be easily shared and used by NYK and the ship-management companies.
2. About NiBiKi
NiBiKi is a platform that digitalizes applications, approval, and operation workflow within the safety management system. By simply following the instructions and inputting appropriate information in provided forms, crews can correctly apply for approval, and that information can be automatically recorded, thus ensuring appropriate procedures by the crews.
Moreover, the NiBiKi system enables data to be shared between the ship-operation company and the management company, and accumulated for high-quality big data analysis.
The NYK Group will proactively use big data for further safety improvements, and will develop a more comprehensive system that includes crew performance records, such as education and drills completed. The NYK Group seeks to grasp the tendency of machinery failure and accidents caused by crew to realize “zero downtime” together with ship-management companies.
In its medium-term management plan “Staying Ahead 2022 with Digitalization and Green” released in March, NYK announced a strategy to achieve sustainable growth. The NYK Group will continue to advance digitalization and utilization of the group’s operational expertise and accumulated data to create new value.
You might also like to read..
- Seafarers Win Commitment To Mandatory Internet Access In International Law
- ABS-Approved Sterntube-Less Ship Concept To Save Shipowners Thousands While Keeping Oceans Clean
- Top 12 Tanker Shipping Companies in the World
- NYK’s First Chief Engineers Successfully Complete NTMA And Internal Training Program
- One Of World’s Largest 24,000TEU Ultra Large Container Carriers Undocked In Shanghai
- Seafarers’ Unions Agree On New Three-Year Global Minimum Wage ‘Safety Net’ Deal
- Russian Navy Open Fires At Cargo Ship Sailing Towards Mariupol Port
- Methane Leak From LNG Powered Cargo Ship Caught In Infrared Camera
- 4 Filipino Seafarers Arrested In Australia For Reportedly Importing Cocaine