Kurushima, a bulk carrier operated by NYK Bulk & Projects Carriers Ltd., a wholly owned subsidiary of NYK Line, rescued nine people from a fishing boat in distress on August 31 off the coast of Indonesia.
While Kurushima was sailing from India to Japan, the vessel’s crew came upon a sinking fishing boat with nine castaways approximately 1 nautical mile from the vessel in waters off the coast of Indonesia.
The vessel made the rescue immediately and provided the fishermen with food, fresh water, and blankets before transferring them to Belawan, Indonesia, as directed by the Maritime Rescue Coordination Centre.
- Captain: Bertiz, Bernaldd R.
- Flag: Panama
- Crew: 22 seafarers (Filipino)
- Gross tonnage: 20,079 tons
- Type of vessel: Bulk carrier
- Shipowner: NYK Bulk & Projects Carriers Ltd.
- Ship management: Hachiuma Steamship Co., Ltd.