The total number of Indian seafarers who were employed on Indian or foreign flag vessels increased as under:
|Year||Total No. of seafarers engaged||Growth %|
The number of vessels under Indian flag have increased from 1313 as on 01.04.2017 to 1431 as on 01.04.2020.
The tonnages of vessels under Indian flag have increased from 11.55 MT as on 01.04.2017 to 12.68MT as on 01.04.2020. The comparative position indicating the no. of vessels and tonnage for last three years is as below:
|No. of vessels||Gross tonnage||No. of vessels||Gross tonnage||No. of vessels||Gross Tonnage|
The growth rate of World shipping along with growth rate in India, as ascertained from Indian National Shipowners’ Association, is as below;
Growth Rate of World and India During 2018-2020 (In 1000 dwt)
|Country||1st Jan 2018||1st Jan 2019||1st Jan 2020|
|% of Growth||3.45||2.6||4.3|
|% of Growth||9.86||2.04||1.03|
In order to make the shipping industry more attractive and competitive, the Government has taken various measures in recent years. These are reduction in GST from 18% to 5% on bunker fuel used in Indian flag vessels; providing cargo support to Indian shipping industry through Right of First Refusal (RoFR); allowing shipping enterprises based in India to acquire ships abroad and flag them in the country of their convenience; bringing parity in the tax regime of Indian seafarers employed on Indian flag ships vis-à-vis those on foreign flag ships; removal of licensing requirement for chartering of foreign registered ships for encouraging coastal movement of agriculture and other commodities, fertilizers, EXIM laden Transshipment Containers and Empty containers, etc.
This information was given by the Minister of State for Shipping (I/C) Shri Mansukh Mandaviya in the Lok Sabha today in a written reply.
You might also like to read..
- ABS-Approved Sterntube-Less Ship Concept To Save Shipowners Thousands While Keeping Oceans Clean
- Seafarers Win Commitment To Mandatory Internet Access In International Law
- Top 12 Tanker Shipping Companies in the World
- NYK’s First Chief Engineers Successfully Complete NTMA And Internal Training Program
- One Of World’s Largest 24,000TEU Ultra Large Container Carriers Undocked In Shanghai
- Watch: OceanGate’s 2022 Titanic Expedition Document Wreck Of Titanic For Future Generations
- Seafarers’ Unions Agree On New Three-Year Global Minimum Wage ‘Safety Net’ Deal
- What Are Hybrid Ships?
- ONE Inks Shipbuilding Contracts For 10 Very Large Container Ships