Nigeria’s First Deep Seaport Opens, Will Create 200,000 Jobs

On Monday, January 23, Nigeria got its first deep seaport as it opened a billion-dollar port in Lagos.

The ship built by the Chinese is likely to be an African transhipment hub worth $1.5 billion.

It has been built to reduce congestion at other ports and facilitate smoother cargo handling for goods in transit. 

Nigeria deep sea port to create more jobs
Image for representation purposes only.

Tolaram Group and the China Harbour Engineering Company jointly own the new deep sea port at Lekki. 75% of the ownership rights are with them, while the Nigerian Ports Authority and the Lagos government hold the other 25% rights. 

The incumbent hopes to attract new voters in the upcoming presidential election with infrastructural projects like these. This move was cemented by President Muhammadu Buhari’s plan to make infrastructure a keynote in the economic policy. 

Cui Jianchun, the Chinese Ambassador in Nigeria, revealed that this transformative project would help create 200,000 jobs. China funded most of Nigeria’s infrastructure projects, including road, rail and power stations, as they are the biggest bilateral lenders of the country. 

Source: Reuters, Aljazeera

Disclaimer :
The information contained in this website is for general information purposes only. While we endeavour to keep the information up to date and correct, we make no representations or warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability, suitability or availability with respect to the website or the information, products, services, or related graphics contained on the website for any purpose. Any reliance you place on such information is therefore strictly at your own risk.

In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.

Do you have info to share with us ? Suggest a correction

About Author

Marine Insight News Network is a premier source for up-to-date, comprehensive, and insightful coverage of the maritime industry. Dedicated to offering the latest news, trends, and analyses in shipping, marine technology, regulations, and global maritime affairs, Marine Insight News Network prides itself on delivering accurate, engaging, and relevant information.

Subscribe To Our Newsletters

By subscribing, you agree to our Privacy Policy and may receive occasional deal communications; you can unsubscribe anytime.

Web Stories

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *