International seafarer welfare charity, The Mission to Seafarers has today announced the launch of its new On Board Mental Health Champions webinars and podcast series, as part of its WeCare programme. Created specifically for seafarers, the Mission believes this really does address the unique challenges they face on board.
The Mission recognises that mental health and wellbeing are vitally important issues within the maritime industry, but there is limited practical advice that is immediately available to seafarers.
The Mission’s On Board Mental Health Champions webinar and podcast series intends to provide seafarers with practical tools designed to encourage positive mental health and wellbeing on board. Both resources will provide short, clear and engaging content that is relevant to life on board. It will relate seafarers’ experiences of mental health and wellness, from both an officers’ and crew perspective.
The two 45 minute webinars will be targeted at officers and crew separately and will be broken down into short segments, enabling viewers to watch them at their own pace. There will be supporting downloadable learning materials for seafarers, as and when needed, and a supporting podcast for each webinar, discussing the issues and examples raised in the webinar.
The Revd Canon Andrew Wright, Secretary General, The Mission to Seafarers, commented: “Being able to provide immediate practical advice to the mental wellbeing crisis we are seeing across the entire shipping industry can make a real difference. Many of the problems at sea stem from the stigma attached to asking for help. We hope this new digital offering that provides practical advice will help reduce these barriers as well as improve onboard relationships and offer constructive support.
“We are very thankful for the support from Shell Shipping & Maritime which has enabled the production of this series. We hope both officers and crew will be able to benefit from this, improving management and communication from senior ranks, as well as helping crew to ask for help or offer support. We look forward to seeing the benefits these solutions can offer to seafarers.”
To find out more about the On Board Mental Health Champions campaign and how to access the webinars and podcasts, please visit: www.missiontoseafarers.org/on-board-champions
You might also like to read..
- ABS-Approved Sterntube-Less Ship Concept To Save Shipowners Thousands While Keeping Oceans Clean
- Seafarers Win Commitment To Mandatory Internet Access In International Law
- Top 12 Tanker Shipping Companies in the World
- NYK’s First Chief Engineers Successfully Complete NTMA And Internal Training Program
- One Of World’s Largest 24,000TEU Ultra Large Container Carriers Undocked In Shanghai
- Watch: OceanGate’s 2022 Titanic Expedition Document Wreck Of Titanic For Future Generations
- Seafarers’ Unions Agree On New Three-Year Global Minimum Wage ‘Safety Net’ Deal
- What Are Hybrid Ships?
- ONE Inks Shipbuilding Contracts For 10 Very Large Container Ships