MAN Energy Solutions has won the order to supply the main engines for two newbuilding live-fish carriers, currently under construction at the Cemre shipyard in Turkey.
The first – a 2,200 cubic-metre vessel for Seivåg Shipping AS – will be powered by 2 × MAN 12V175D-MEM Tier III engines, while the second – an 8,000 cubic-metre vessel for Mowistar AS – will be powered by 4 × MAN 12V175D-MEM Tier III engines. This latter carrier, with a deadweight of ~12,000 tonnes, will be the largest battery-hybrid live-fish carrier of its kind in the world.
Both customers are subsidiaries of Seistar AS from Torangsvåg, Norway.
Norwegian outfit, Salt Ship Design AS, has designed both vessels, which feature several, new design solutions with a strong focus on hygiene, environment and quality, including batteries for energy storage and circular fish tanks.
All engines will come with MAN turbochargers as well as MAN’s SaCoS engine control and safety system. Every engine will also feature MAN’s proprietary SCR (Selective Catalytic Reduction) closed-loop, temperature-controlled system that remains active over the entire load range, delivering low urea consumption and low emissions.
Ben Andres, Head of High-Speed Sales, MAN Energy Solutions said: “This is an important order that marks our entry into an exciting market. The aquaculture and fisheries market is currently experiencing significant growth and to make our début by powering such a remarkable vessel – the world’s largest live-fish carrier – is very pleasing. Norway has a high focus on emissions, particularly NOx and CO2, and the eco-friendliness of the MAN 175D and its SCR system prepares the vessels well for the impending IMO 2030 deadline.”
About the MAN 175D engine
MAN Energy Solutions has developed the MAN 175D engine range to supplement and complete its product portfolio in the maritime sector. In three variants of 12, 16 and 20 cylinders, the engine is available with an output ranging from 1,500 to 4,400 kilowatts. This maximum output makes the engine the most powerful high-speed engine in the market.
The MAN 175D is a reliable, high-performance engine that delivers increased uptime and low lifecycle costs. The engine’s state-of-the-art, optimised combustion delivers low emissions and an optimal fuel-consumption.
It has been designed from the outset to comply with contemporary, as well as future, exhaust-gas-emission requirements and its ultra-compact, flexible SCR system enables vessel designers to optimise space on board.
You might also like to read..
- Seafarers Win Commitment To Mandatory Internet Access In International Law
- ABS-Approved Sterntube-Less Ship Concept To Save Shipowners Thousands While Keeping Oceans Clean
- Top 12 Tanker Shipping Companies in the World
- NYK’s First Chief Engineers Successfully Complete NTMA And Internal Training Program
- One Of World’s Largest 24,000TEU Ultra Large Container Carriers Undocked In Shanghai
- Seafarers’ Unions Agree On New Three-Year Global Minimum Wage ‘Safety Net’ Deal
- Russian Navy Open Fires At Cargo Ship Sailing Towards Mariupol Port
- Methane Leak From LNG Powered Cargo Ship Caught In Infrared Camera
- 4 Filipino Seafarers Arrested In Australia For Reportedly Importing Cocaine