An Italian ferry with a marine LNG fuel-gas supply system has entered service. MAN Cryo – MAN Energy Solutions’ marine LNG fuel-gas-system manufacturer – installed the system aboard the ‘Elio’ at the Sefine Shipyard in Yalova, Turkey. Elio is a double-ended RoPax ferry, designed by LMG Marin, for Italian shipowner, Caronte & Tourist. The MAN Cryo system will supply gas to the ferry´s three dual-fuel propulsion engines and which will primarily operate on the strait of Messina between the Italian mainland and the Sicilian city of Messina.
MAN Cryo’s scope of supply covered:
- vacuum-insulated type C tank – 150 m3 gross volume
- TCS with airlock, valves, piping and vaporization equipment
- bunkering station
- heat-exchanger unit
- freestanding control and emergency shut-down system
Louise Andersson, Head of MAN Cryo, said.”This project is of strategic importance since it iss the very first RoPax vessel in the Mediterranean to operate on LNG. It follows MAN’s vision to become a leading supplier in the regions where we see a strong growth of demand for LNG solutions”.
The 133-m long and 21.5-m wide ferry will have a capacity of up to 290 cars on two vehicle decks, and 1,500 passengers with a service speed of 18.5 knots.
Luigi Genghi, General Manager of Caronte & Tourist, said: “Caronte & Tourist is very happy with the performance of the LNG system that MAN Energy Solutions has provided. Since Elio is operating on a tight schedule on a daily basis, it is important that the gas-supply system works during all circumstances. In this perspective, MAN Energy Solutions is our trustworthy partner.”
Selçuk Bakanoglu , Business Development Manager of Sefine Shipyard, said: “Sefine Shipyard has been very satisfied with the high-quality standard of the equipment, start-up, commissioning and after-sales services of MAN Cryo in the ‘Elio’ project, the first Mediterrean ferry with LNG propulsion.”
You might also like to read..
- Seafarers Win Commitment To Mandatory Internet Access In International Law
- ABS-Approved Sterntube-Less Ship Concept To Save Shipowners Thousands While Keeping Oceans Clean
- Top 12 Tanker Shipping Companies in the World
- NYK’s First Chief Engineers Successfully Complete NTMA And Internal Training Program
- One Of World’s Largest 24,000TEU Ultra Large Container Carriers Undocked In Shanghai
- Seafarers’ Unions Agree On New Three-Year Global Minimum Wage ‘Safety Net’ Deal
- Russian Navy Open Fires At Cargo Ship Sailing Towards Mariupol Port
- Methane Leak From LNG Powered Cargo Ship Caught In Infrared Camera
- 4 Filipino Seafarers Arrested In Australia For Reportedly Importing Cocaine